The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Empty Back Yard with slight slope/nice view

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Emergency Help Needed For Sandy Soil| Next thread: end of season? »
Back to Thread index
by adg on February 13, 2006 09:03 AM
We moved into a new house - the 2 acre site is completely devoid of anything save some rock retaining walls near the house. The neighbors yard look the same (even though they've been here for years). The house is in desperate need of quick shade as their is a South facing deck which I think is gonna get hot in the summer. I have no idea where trees would look nice. Also, what trees are quick growing deciduous shade trees? And where should I add elements? It's a blank slate, bordered on 3 sides by hilly woods.
by afgreyparrot on February 13, 2006 10:09 AM
Hi, adg! [wavey]
Do you have any pictures of your yard?

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by tkhooper on February 13, 2006 11:48 PM
Well since you don't have anything growing put in your irrigation now and save yourself having to do it later. Drip irrigation seems to be the best idea I've heard about and very water saving which is important too.

And definitely think about a water feature that will be visible from the deck if possible. They have kinds that run on solar energy now. But if you like one that needs electricity this is the time to put it in since you won't have to disturb any plantings.

Here are some possible trees:

Ash, Green, Fraxinus pennsylvanica fast growing shade tree

Aspen, Quaking Populus tremuloides fast growing shade tree

Elm, Lacebark Ulmus parvifolia fast to moderate growing shade tree

Honeylocust, Thornless Gleditsia triacanthos inermis fast growing flowering shade tree

Linden, Littleleaf Tilia cordata fast growing flowering shade tree

Maple, Red Acer rubrum fast growing flowering shade tree

Planetree, London Platanus x acerifolia fast growing shade tree

Tuliptree (Yellow Poplar)Liriodendron tulipifera fast growing flowering shade tree

I'm sure there are more but those are the ones I found.

I love the idea of knot gardens and with two acres you have enough space for a nice one. I also love roses of all types and with retaining walls maybe you could do some climbing roses or even a rose arbor.

By the water feature I would definitely have a weeping ***** willow tree if they will grow in your zone. They do in Bills so it should be possible. It isn't a shade tree but it is fantastic looking.

For under your shade trees you'll have to look up the shade garden information so that it isn't bare there. I think hostas would definitely be possible in that location.

I am so excited for you in your new home. Good luck with all you do.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Emergency Help Needed For Sandy Soil| Next thread: end of season? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: