The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

wasps in my pump!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: wasp| Next thread: Watch for those "Damaged Goods" »
Back to Thread index
by hisgal2 on April 10, 2005 11:03 PM
We have a cistern in the back yard with an old pump in it. We use the water that the cistern holds for watering our flower beds during the summers when we are in drought and can't use the hose (it cuts down in water bills also!!! [Smile] ). Today we were getting ready to pull out a bush that is in front of the pump. Stephen rested the shovel against the pump and about 7 wasps or hornets flew out of the pump!! So, I am now assumming that because we did not use the pump much last year, that they made a nest in the pump. [Eek!] Anyone know how I can get the nest of out the pump without harming the water??? I was going to just pour bleach in the pump, but then I won't be able to use the pump at all for watering. Help!!!

-
 -

-
by Longy on April 22, 2005 01:33 PM
Whatever you do, do it at night. That way all the wasps will be inside the pump. Can you drown them? Like block the nozzle and fill the pump? Alternatively roll up a bit of newspaper and light it and put it so the flame goes up into the pump. I'm assuming it's made of steel and the spout points down. It'll burn their wings off. Or just spray up the nozzle with insect spray. It'll flush out and won't harm your flowers. Maybe don't drink it for a bit though!!
by Dixie Angel on April 22, 2005 03:37 PM
Jenn, I don't have a remedy for your wasp problem, but was wondering if you or Stephen are allergic to the little devils? Nasty little things, they are, and they will attack you when you start disturbing them. Be very careful when you go to do war with them. Like Longy said, do it at night when they are all at home and maybe not inclined to fly at you so much.

Dianna

-
 -
by hisgal2 on May 02, 2005 03:34 AM
I am allergic to them, but Stephen is not. We took care of them today. It was pretty chilly outside and Stephen wanted to do the grass, so he got a shovel out and banged the pump and none came out. He thought they weren't in there at all, but I looked into the pump and saw the nest and told him to burn it up....so he sprayed it with WD-40 and lite the bugger up. Some started to come out when he started to spray it, so he just kept on spraying. Then when he lite it up, he said they really started to try to get out...but none did. After the fire went out, he scraped the nest out and primed and ran the pump. Everything is good now! [thumb]

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: wasp| Next thread: Watch for those "Damaged Goods" »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: