The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I DIDN'T KNOW WHERE TO POST THIS ONE ...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: I did NOT give them beer!| Next thread: I didn't lose them »
Back to Thread index
by Sue Z on March 16, 2005 11:58 PM
My pest happens to be a tree rat, but not on my plants ...

... on my swing canopy! [Big Grin]

This sqirrel is driving me crazy .... he has just about torn up my whole swingtop by chewing it all to pieces. [Eek!]

It is in shreds and I have got to replace it with something he won't want to chew on but have no idea what ! (????)

Canvas is sooooooooo expensive, to just have that lil' dickens of a tree rat, go and chew it all up again. [Frown]

Is there a spray or something I can use?

Or should I recover the swing with something he can't or won't chew up?

Any and all suggestions will be deeply appreciated. [muggs]

Thank you. [flower]

Sue Z [wayey]

-
"WHEN IN DOUBT ... DON'T"
by catlover on March 17, 2005 01:59 AM
Yes, you are in the right forum [thumb] .
I haven't a clue what to replace your swingtop with...but are you talking tree rat or a squirrel? There is such a thing as a tree rat! We used to have these in several untopped avocado trees and they got in the attic at my parents via tree limbs that overhung the house. Nasty little varmits....we got em though. [thumb] If your talking squirrels I haven't dealt with any of those little cute acrobats.

-
 -
 -
by weezie13 on March 17, 2005 05:10 AM
Hey Karen,
I wonder if "chemical bob" heard the word
squirrel??? [Wink]

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Shhhhhhhhhhh, not so loud!!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Cricket on March 17, 2005 05:17 AM
How is your squirrel/tree rat getting to your swingtop? If it's climbing, one suggestion is to grease the poles. What about sprinkling the canvas with tobasco or chili peppers?
by Jiffymouse on March 17, 2005 04:23 PM
well, squirrels really like the stuff that is called canvas now adays, but it isn't canvas at all. most of it is either acrylic or vinyl laminate. true canvas is made of cotton and is usually either natural color, or dyed olive drab. (ie, od tarp duck). i work for a company called coastal canvas here in savannah, and let me tell you, squirrels love that synthetic stuff and keep us in business [Big Grin] [Big Grin] ... what i'd do is repair the holes... (you can buy patching stuffs, if you can't find it, pm me and i'll give you some pointers... and then when you get ready to really replace the top, make the cover out of some true canvas treated for water repellancy. natural canvas is a very pretty cream color and is MUCH more reasonably priced than the other stuff...
by Sue Z on March 17, 2005 04:33 PM
"are you talking tree rat or a squirrel?"

Oh it's a BIG freakin' squirrel alright, Catlover. I hear they are from the rat family.
[Frown]

I have a small patio where the swing sits, right below the tree and right by the fence, where ever I move it, he still has access to it. [dunno] [wayey]

-
by Sue Z on March 17, 2005 04:36 PM
"What about sprinkling the canvas with tobasco or chili peppers?"

Thanx for the ideas Cricket, I will certainly give them a try. [thumb]
[wayey]

-
by Sue Z on March 17, 2005 04:43 PM
"repair the holes... (you can buy patching stuffs,"

[Frown] Oh, it's wayyyyyy beyond repair now, JM.

It is the green and white stripped (thin) canvas, that comes on most of the metal swings nowadays.

It's all shredded now, so it has to be replaced. [Frown]

After we replace it I'll use Cricket's cayene pepper trick and see what happens. [Frown]

Thank you. [flower]
HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY EVERYONE!!!!!!!!! [muggs]
[wayey]

-
by ranee_renee23 on March 18, 2005 04:25 AM
i once heard that fox urine will keep rabbits and small rodents away. it might work on your "tree rat"

True INSANITY will never admit itself.(forgive my misspellings)
by Sue Z on March 19, 2005 12:26 AM
LMAO!!!! OK Renee ... I'm off to go fox hunting!! [Big Grin]

Thanx hon. [flower] [wayey]

-
by Jiffymouse on March 19, 2005 02:05 AM
check the sporting goods department of your local wally world... they usually have "fox p" (that is a brand name, i think) in the hunting section. just don't let it spill in your car [Frown] [Frown] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] but... another way to rid your swing of them is to put a feeder up away from them. squirrel corn on a screen door spring will provide you with many hours of amusement from your swing... just hang it from a tree limb and smear it with peanut butter...
by Sue Z on March 22, 2005 05:46 PM
Will do JM. [Big Grin] Thanx hun. [thumb]

Love the squirrel feeder tip too. [Wink]

Sue z [wayey]

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: I did NOT give them beer!| Next thread: I didn't lose them »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: