The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

More White flies! Darn it!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: more w/ jades| Next thread: More Yellow Blobs »
Back to Thread index
by 4Ruddy on February 22, 2005 10:36 PM
Well, it has been in the high 70's the past few days...and I am REALLY discouraged. Went outside to piddle and here they are...tons of white flies already. I am afraid we wont be doing the landscaping or do our garden as we usually do because our fight with the flies last year ended up being extremely costly and wore me out!
I planted 6 crepe myrtles last year and may have 2 that survived! I had to work non stop on the garden to save what I could of the tomatoes, peppers, squash and eggplant. I just don't know if it will be worth the investment to try to battle them again this year...I am SOOOOO discouraged!

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by plantlady19 on February 23, 2005 06:54 PM
I think I have white flies, too. [Mad] I really sympathize. [Smile] My poor ferns! Please, someone, help! [scaredy]

Rule like a Goddess.
Command like a queen.
Work like a slave.
by 4Ruddy on February 24, 2005 04:36 AM
was sure hoping for a winter to thin them out a little...but didn't happen!

-
 -

by plantlady19 on February 24, 2005 08:35 PM
At least you have the luxury of keeping the plants out doors. My ferns would shrivel up and blow away in the cold winter weather. They were outside all last summer, and then they were given to me to baby sit until the cold weather backs off. Any ideas about how to get rid of them indoors. (the whiteflys, not the ferns)

Rule like a Goddess.
Command like a queen.
Work like a slave.
by 4Ruddy on February 25, 2005 03:39 AM
Well...here is what I learned last year. Get your vacuum cleaner out and suck them up in flight...really...I promise...I thought the source was joking with me. Then you have to mix a light solution of liquid dish soap and water (Jerry Baker says to add 3 medium Rhubarb leaves)and wash the plants, especially the undersides of the leaves. I washed my entire outside garden (3 beds) AND all of my crepe myrtles 3 stinkin times last year..it was a 2 day event! So, here's wishin you lots-O-luck! [thumb]

-
 -

by plantlady19 on February 25, 2005 05:58 PM
Thanks for the help! [Cool]

Rule like a Goddess.
Command like a queen.
Work like a slave.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: more w/ jades| Next thread: More Yellow Blobs »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: