The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

trouble finding bagged compost for SFG

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: tropical hibicus| Next thread: Trouble in Japan! please help! »
Back to Thread index
by Mrs.Spud on May 02, 2006 12:00 PM
I live in a rural area, WalMart/HD are 50 miles away. I was at WalMart/HD today and only one carried bagged compost. SFG recommends a variety brands of bags of compost to get a good mix. What can I do? I'm such a greenhorn at this...and don't have a compost started here yet.

There is also a home/farm supply and a garden center in the same town as WalMart and Home Depot. Plus a Kmart...

I feel like a nut finding these ingredients to make the perfect mix for soil!

EDIT: by the way, I'm doing a couple boxes allong with hubby's furrows... to show my hubby SFG should work. Thats what makes me feel like a nut, that I have to go to great lengths to try something new, something (SFG) which just seems so odd to him.

Mrs.Spud: Idaho Mom
by MistyF on May 02, 2006 12:45 PM
I just got one kind at Home Depot, and am making my own from now on. I think you should be alright starting out with just one, and work on improving on it as you go along. I love SFG. My husband thinks I'm crazy doing it, but he doesn't mind my tomatoes, and he certainly doesn't mind not having to run the tiller all the time. I have 9 boxes, and believe me, you grow a ton in that many.
by Danno on May 02, 2006 02:00 PM
Yah i too just started a garden this year and at home depot i got myself 8 bags of manure/humus mix (couldnt tell you what brand it was but it was white bag looked very generic brand) and tilled that in. . . for SFG i'm sure a good 2 bags would work for you. . . they say to have 3" of that mixture tilled in with your dirt. . . which to me seems alot of mixture. . but i'm new as well [Smile]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: tropical hibicus| Next thread: Trouble in Japan! please help! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: