The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

what is inoculant for pea seeds?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: What is indirect light?| Next thread: WHAT IS IT »
Back to Thread index
by Mrs.Spud on May 02, 2006 04:40 AM
The directions say

"plants grow best if seeds are treated with inoculant before sowing."

what is inoculant and is there a brand name you can recommend?

Mrs.Spud: Idaho Mom
by 'Sparagus on May 02, 2006 12:33 PM
I hope someone has the answer!! I read about this in one of my books, for beans though.....let me go find it.......

.......Ok, Im back! Here is what it says: "Buy some bean innoculant when you get your seeds. The innoculant contains the soil dwelling bacteria that help beans manufacture their own plant-feeding nitrogen from the air."

Im guessing it's the same for peas. I was thinking of posting this exact question, to see if anyone uses it! Every time I go to the garden center, I forget what it's called or forget to ask about it!

Karen [flower]
by mater sandwich on May 02, 2006 01:19 PM
As explained to me, The soil dwelling bacteria helps legumes produce their own nitrogen while the plants are young. The innoculant has a shelf life and can only be used for one season.

I was going to purchase some innoculant for the beans I planted this year when told that it really wasn't necessary unless I was planting peas.

I hope I am passing on accurate information....

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Some days there is more laughter than others....Just depends on what/who you focus on....
by 'Sparagus on May 02, 2006 01:24 PM
quote:
The innoculant has a shelf life and can only be used for one season.
And I bet it only comes in 25# bags! [Big Grin]

My sis in law has great success growing beans and she never heard of using it. My peas are already 8" tall so it's too late to think about it!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: What is indirect light?| Next thread: WHAT IS IT »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: