The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help with Ornamental Grasses

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: help with orchid| Next thread: Help with Pepper Maggot Flies »
Back to Thread index
by howboutcha on October 18, 2005 11:55 AM
Need some advice guys, I live in Chattanooga Tennessee and am needing to divide some ornamental grasses...I do not know what variety they are one clump is a tall varegated they others are just tall (5ft at least), the blooms are not 'plumes' like some tall grasses I have seen, to be honest the blooms are similar to a johnson grass.
Is fall the wrong time of year to divide, some sites say yea some say no..please advise
by afgreyparrot on October 19, 2005 09:57 AM
Is it Zebra Grass ?

If so...I have divided that at every point of the year there is...and haven't been able to hurt it yet! [Roll Eyes]

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by howboutcha on October 19, 2005 11:33 AM
Yes..that is it! thanks for the info...I will go ahead and separate, I really would like to have this project tackled before spring.
Thanks so much.
by afgreyparrot on October 20, 2005 09:05 AM
How big is your zebra grass? [dunno]

I had to finally get the backhoe to dig out one of mine to separate it this spring...and it was only about a foot in diameter at the base. I dug on it for days...broke 2 shovels AND a maddock...then got the backhoe.

I have one that is about 4' (yes...FEET) diameter at the base. It is awesome. Tomorrow I'll post a pic of it.

Cindy

-
 -
 -
by afgreyparrot on October 21, 2005 07:09 AM
Did you get your grass separated?

I started to work on mine today, but spent the day in the pond. [Roll Eyes]

Here's the huge clump that's a few inches short of 4' at the bottom...
 -

...and here are two that are almost 2' at the bottom...
 -

They are planted way too close to the posts that are in the ground holding the deck up. If I tried to move those it would probably pull the posts up now. [scaredy]

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: help with orchid| Next thread: Help with Pepper Maggot Flies »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: