The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Question? regards tomatoes

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Firstyeargardener2006 on April 26, 2006 01:58 PM
I have one tomatoe plant that is short and growing tomatoes granted they look like cherry tomatoes. I have another plant that keeps getting taller, but no tomatoes [Mad] . I get flowers then they fall (repeat cycle or a storm comes in). So I'm not sure what's with that plant, but it keeps going up and up and wide. What am I doing wrong to it? The weird and strange part aboout it is that they are right next to each other. So what I do to one I usually do to the other. Please give me some advice it's need and wanted.
Thank you,
Nicky

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/ladyk24/

I sit in my vegetable garden so that I can see them grow.
by 'Sparagus on April 26, 2006 02:22 PM
It's hard for me to say cause you are in a different zone and are way ahead in the season (I cant even plant tomatoes till at least May 15!).

It sounds like maybe you have 2 different varieties?

[flower] karen
by Firstyeargardener2006 on April 26, 2006 02:28 PM
One I found out is a patio tomatoe plant that's the one that is growsing. The other one says early bird or something like that. I will have to check on it first thing in the AM and write it down to let you know tomorrow.

by johnCT on April 27, 2006 01:21 AM
Different varieties grow in different ways. Patio is a dwarf variety and won't get more than 2-3 feet tall. Never heard of early bird, but if that's early girl, it's an indeterminate variety and will get very tall. If you prune to a central leader it will continue to get taller. Blossom drop could be attributed to the hot weather you've had down there.

John - Zone 6
by Firstyeargardener2006 on April 27, 2006 02:32 AM
It is early girl (tomatoe plant). John, you think it is because of the hot weather? It keeps getting taller. Do I need to do anything to keep the to help it or leave it as is since how it's just the flowers everything else is nice and green and growing? Peppers are dying (I think I am over watering), but that plant (tomatoe) seems not to even be losing leaves after the storm the other day it stayed in tack. thank you, Nicky

by johnCT on April 27, 2006 03:28 AM
Pollination suffers in very hot weather and can lead to blossom drop. Its usually some sort of stress to the plant that causes BD. Over or underfertilizing can also be a cause. You can help the plants pollinate by "flicking" the blossoms gently. Be careful watering. Don't water until the plants need it. Good luck.

John - Zone 6
by Sorellina on April 27, 2006 06:40 AM
You might even want to invest in some shade cloth so your plants don't over-heat. Depending where you are in Texas, it can really stress the plants and it can also be a challenge giving them enough water. If you don't already have a soaker hose, that might be a thought as well. It's much easier to irrigate deeply and evenly by using a soaker hose and you don't get the splash back onto the leaves, either. That can cause disease and can also burn the foliage if you water during the heat of the day. Also, mulch, mulch, mulch to retain that water. In Texas and other really hot places, cherry tomatoes and dwarf varieties do best because they seem to handle stress better. Your peppers like the heat, but like tomatoes, if it gets TOO hot or they wilt, they'll drop their blossoms and stop setting fruit. I'd talk to your local nursery people about the shade cloth.

Buona fortuna,
Julianna

-
by Firstyeargardener2006 on April 27, 2006 02:52 PM
Thank you,

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: