The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Using compost: It seems so chunky!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by 'Sparagus on April 24, 2006 01:53 PM
Hey everybody!

Ive read and been told to add lots of compost to my garden. I have a big pile I started in Fall 2003 and the stuff on the bottom looks pretty good!

Here is my question: It just seems so chunky! Like, if I mix it in, it wont blend in nice, but look like clumps and lumps. There are some small twigs, and lots of roots too! [shocked]

So, is this how Im supposed to use it?! Im not using a tiller, have to do it by hand.

I did spend tonight sifting a wheelbarow full through my 1/4" mesh screen box, and BOY does that stuff look amazing! Like the best dirt you've ever seen. But I dont see myself doing that to all of it [Big Grin]

Can someone give me a boost of confidence that this is how it is??

TIA!

Karen [flower]
by PAR_Gardener on April 24, 2006 05:46 PM
"Chunks" are not uncommon. Especially if you don't mix thoroughly every time you add stuff or turn the pile regularly, and by regularly I mean at least once a week.

This is especially common in cold composting. If you throw stuff in and don't mix well every time, then stuff will clump together. Sifting is the best way to separate out the uncomposted material. I run my finished compost through a chipper shredder to break up everything into very fine compost. I'm guessing that you don't have one of those.

If you don't, it's ok, to use the stuff if you haven't added anything since 2003. Just bury it at the bottom of your garden soil. If you've been adding stuff continually since 2003, then it depends on what you've been adding. If you've just been adding vegetative matter, then it's fine to use. If you've added any manure recently, you probably want to let the stuff on the top of the pile age a month or two. The stuff on the bottom is probably fine. Don't worry about the clumps.

Good luck.

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.
by Wrennie on April 25, 2006 12:43 AM
I bury the clumps and put the looser stuff on top.
You can use a steel rake and rake out the bigger chunks roots & clumps too.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by weezie13 on April 25, 2006 12:44 AM
Karen,
Here's a picture of some of mine...
When I first dump it into my sifter...
 -
And then I sift it...
for it to be finer to use in my seed starting mix.
 -

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by 'Sparagus on April 25, 2006 02:08 AM
Thanks everyone!

quote:
"Chunks" are not uncommon. Especially if you don't mix thoroughly every time you add stuff or turn the pile regularly, and by regularly I mean at least once a week.
LOL, how about...never! Hey at least I save the stuff. Ive never put in manure, just all the leaves from our trees in Fall, and kitchen scraps. The top is no way near done. But the bottom is great!

Weezie: THANKS for those pictures!!! That is exactly how mine looks, before and after. I built one of those sifters and Im addicted to screening soil and compost! It's just so rewarding.

Too bad I didnt think it looked like rain last night, my wheelbarrow is full of compost soup! Hey, is that how you make compost tea?? If so, Im in luck! [Big Grin]

[flower] Karen
by weezie13 on April 25, 2006 02:30 AM
Heyyyyy, you sound just like me...
I have a tarp over mine, but it has a few holes
in it... and mine's not soup, but it's very close..

Well, it will dry out, once the ole sunshine hits it..
I'll just get the other wheelbarrow out and start sifting for the potting soil mixture I make....

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Wrennie on April 25, 2006 09:19 AM
Yes that is compost tea.....as far as I know.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: