The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Iron railing ideas?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by afgreyparrot on July 11, 2005 09:10 PM
My daughter is taking all this wrought iron railing off her house...

This piece is 36' long...
 -

I didn't measure these, but they are huge...
 -

And this is 12' long...
 -

It just looks like it would be good for something!
I can't stand to see her just throw it away...but not sure what to do with it.
I have the torches to cut it with..... [dunno]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by tkhooper on July 11, 2005 09:35 PM
Ohhhhh,

The two gates would make great sides for an arbor with vines growing over and meeting at the top. I love wrought iron

And if you have the torch what about a little outside room with the railings and some tall supports for a cloth top of some sort. Kind of like a gazebo idea but right on the ground so climbing plants could use the railings as support. Or some of those really tall flowers.

You are so lucky. Congrats on your found stuff. I just love found stuff.
by afgreyparrot on July 11, 2005 09:47 PM
quote:
I just love found stuff.
Oh, me too! [Eek!]
I just want everything anyone is throwing away!
(Sanford Syndrome!) [Big Grin]

Yeah...I could cut those railings into 12' sections, giving me 4 of them... [grin]

-
 -
 -
by tkhooper on July 11, 2005 09:48 PM
um don't forget to leave yourself an entrance lol.

Cindy jumping over the railing picture. I can see it lol.
by afgreyparrot on July 11, 2005 11:41 PM
Hey..... [thinker]
I could have NO entrance...which means NO exit...
...and make Hell [devil] Hound a prison! [Big Grin] [thumb]

-
 -
 -
by RugbyHukr on July 12, 2005 12:16 AM
The railings might look good set against the walls in an outdoor setting; like wainscoating. Then some choice plants could ramble around over them to give a nice effect.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by tkhooper on July 12, 2005 12:44 AM
lol @ cindy

Doggies dig under fences.
by hisgal2 on July 12, 2005 03:14 AM
you could cut them and leand them agains large walls of buildings and use them as a trellis.

...but I really like the gazebo idea!! I would make two entrances tho.

-
 -

-
by Francine on July 17, 2005 11:18 PM
Cindy,

first of all let me tell you this is a BEAUTIFUL house,what a beauty.

2nd.;wonderful idea to keep all of that and make something out of it.

i was thinking in the way of: lets say you have a wooden fence and your garden is along it you might just save from cutting it and lean it against the fence and plant climbing plants of some sort on it,seems to me it would be nice,i know that s what i would do if i found some.

dont have any thing for the two others though.

good luck!

http://photobucket.com/albums/d23/fv1962/
by afgreyparrot on July 18, 2005 11:01 AM
Well...Update on this topic! [Big Grin]

Since I posted this question, I have had a sudden change-of-plans and am in the process of moving...into the bottom floor of my daughter's house!

So...since she said I could do anything in the yard I wanted to do, [lala] looks like the railing will get used in her own yard! I can't let that treasure go to waste! [thumb]

Cindy

-
 -
 -
by Francine on July 18, 2005 12:00 PM
[muggs] [Confused] [clappy]

CONGRATS!!!

think of it a whole new place to plan ,sow and do the things you do so well!!!

what about your flowers right now ,are you gonna bring some with you,when are you gonna move,where is it.

oooohhhh,so many plans,so many questions.

good luck!

http://photobucket.com/albums/d23/fv1962/
by Carly on July 19, 2005 12:50 PM
Good luck with that - I wouldn't have a place for it if it came my way, but I'd keep it just in case somebody else in the neighbourhood needed it.

'Course, we pick each other's garbage big time on our block (s). After yard sales, there's always a boodle of stuff out in little boxes - stuff that doesn't get sold, gets turfed.

I had a nice lot of kids books last time.

I don't like to just put something out at the last minute and have it get picked up by the truck - I like to leave it a couple of days to give others a chance to take it home - and it's amazing what people will take home.

Jeff knows how to fix stuff - electronic stuff, so we get a lot of goodies - printers, radios, etc. I've brought home things I wouldn't dream of plugging in for fear of getting electrocuted, but he was trained and educated in that kind of thing and knows what's safe.

Computer monitors are often tossed out - sometimes there's very little wrong with them. A lot of people don't realize that. Jeff knows what to do with them. We've often been able to supply somebody when theirs goes down or make some money selling.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: