The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

irritating and/or invasive plants

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Iron railing ideas?| Next thread: Is a "mess" of squash »
Back to Thread index
by Mrs.Spud on May 11, 2006 09:51 AM
being a newbie I'm really not sure what is irritating and invasive.

I have heard snow-in-summer is invasive, I have 4 small seedlings and I don't know if I want to plant them. I just planted horseradish out in my garden, but planted it in a buried container with drainage holes.

How about columbine and purple cone flower?

Iris?

I really want a trumpet vine but I KNOW they can do some major property damage.

and bee balm. I'm very interested in hummingbird gardening.

your opinions on irritating and invasive plants?

Mrs.Spud: Idaho Mom
by loz on May 11, 2006 10:05 AM
quote:
I really want a trumpet vine but I KNOW they can do some major property damage.

I'd just like to say that my first year gardening I ordered a trumpet vine not knowing how invasive it was....Well when it got here it was totally dead...and I was sort of happy about it! [Big Grin]
by joclyn on May 11, 2006 12:06 PM
purple cone flowers can self seed (you can also bury the seed heads). they also will multiple from the root. they're really nice and they're very hardy. they do spread out - i wouldn't consider them to be invasive tho.

mine didn't spread out too well. one because i planted them too close together and two because i planted day lily right next to them and they got crowded. i just got done splitting them out and moved them - so now they have good breathing room and should start spreading.

iris are terrific. they multiply and spread out nicely. they are very easy to split and transplant. i bought 6 when i first moved into my house (6 years ago). i put 3 in the front yard and 3 in back. moved those in front to another spot in the back 4 years ago.

the set that was never moved i just got done splitting up - had about 35 - 40 to transplant (and give away).

i planted them too close together originally (didn't know they spread out like they do) so they were all cramped and i wasn't getting all that many flowers - tons of leaves tho. before i pulled them up, they took up about a 3 1/2 foot space by almost 2 feet. that's from 3 rhyzomes planted 5 years ago.

i made sure to give them plenty of room this time [Wink]

the group that i moved doesn't have as many because i broke the growth cycle by moving them at the wrong time. when i do split them out, there will probably be only about 20 to replant.

i wouldn't consider them invasive. they ARE good multipliers tho!
by Mrs.Spud on May 11, 2006 05:34 PM
thanks for the advice! I have 3 iris thingies, and a purple coneflower in a pot. THANKS!

by patches1414 on May 11, 2006 08:17 PM
I have snow-in-the-summer and it does spread, but I don't really consider it invasive and have had no problem with it. However, that is cartainly not true about the Trumpet vine. [Frown] It will come up anywhere and everywhere! [Eek!]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by joclyn on May 12, 2006 06:49 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs.Spud:
thanks for the advice! I have 3 iris thingies, and a purple coneflower in a pot. THANKS!
if you're going to keep the iris together - plant them at least a foot apart. and don't expect blooms for a couple of years - lots of nice leaves...no blooms. well at least that's what mine did - other types might bloom the first year.

make sure you keep the coneflower watered every few days if you don't get any rain. just for the first couple of months - until the roots are well established.

hey! i got a nice surprise this morning! i took a look at everything before i left for work; most of the iris that i just transplanted have blooms growing!! because i just transplanted them, i wasn't expecting them to bloom this year [clappy]
by Jorgie on May 12, 2006 08:07 AM
Mrs Spud,

My personal opinion is stay away from Bee Balm. I have never seen anything spread and block out other plants like that stuff does.
by joclyn on May 12, 2006 12:24 PM
i'd have to agree with jorgie on the bee balm. i was looking at that today. from how it was overgrown in the starter pot i could tell it would be something that would be a 'take over the area' plant (i passed on it).
by tamara on May 12, 2006 02:51 PM
Stay away from Bishop's Weed. Pretty but extremely damaging to every other plant.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by Pianolady on May 12, 2006 03:27 PM
I actually love bee balm, but have never had problems containing it, and use it where I need it to cover a large area. For a small garden though, not a good idea.

I tore out my English ivy this year (was groundcover under a tree). It was great for a few years, then tried to take over. Had to go before it got too far. One of those "what was I thinking?" moments!

-
by Mrs.Spud on May 18, 2006 04:55 AM
I discovered another one...african or shasta daisy. Its ALL IN MY LAWN

by Sir Ts Princess on May 18, 2006 09:08 AM
Others that are "invasive" where I live are: Honeysuckle, mamosa, crimson clover, Tradescantia virginiana (ink plant), there's others but I can't think of them at the moment.

-
by LilacLover on June 26, 2006 01:18 PM
Wish my bee balm would take over & live!!

Mark
by dodge on June 26, 2006 01:58 PM
Mrs Spud

Trumpet vine,
My sister in Ohio had one.......It didnt grow any where except up.. SHe had it on the TV antenna on the side of the house. Each summer she did have it chopped down to size.. But it bloomed gorgous......Orange trumpets..
She had a green thumb.

Dodge.

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Iron railing ideas?| Next thread: Is a "mess" of squash »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: