The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Mr. Stripey Tomato

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Mr. Monkey| Next thread: Mrs. Rufus »
Back to Thread index
by JV on April 16, 2006 07:28 AM
Any one every have a stripped Tomato? I found these @ WM called Mr Stripey thought I would try them has yellow and red stripes on the pic.
 -
Jimmy

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by peppereater on April 16, 2006 07:59 AM
Hello Jimmy! So good to see you!
I grew some many years ago, so my memory might be flawed...it is flawed! [Big Grin]
But I seem to remember that it was a great tomato...kind of inbetween a yellow and a red, nice and tart but also sweet.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by markr on April 17, 2006 06:59 AM
jv
i grew them over here about 8 years ago,they did fine for me.
the ones i grew were called tigerella, they have a RHS award of garden merit.
from memory they did well inside and out.

-
Mark
by davida580 on April 17, 2006 11:41 AM
i to just planted some of those mr.stripeys my mom says she loves them.
by Sorellina on April 18, 2006 06:51 AM
JV,

There are actually 2 tomato varieties that have been referred to as Mr. Stripey. The one you're talking about is a true striped tomato, red with gold stripes and slightly larger than a ping pong ball. They're great in salads, especially with a vinaigrette and have some zing to them, not overly sweet. This Mr. Stripey is listed at Tomato Growers Supply website: http://www.tomatogrowers.com/bicolored.htm

The other Mr. Stripey tomato is actually a bicolour, a yellow tomato with a red blush on the blossom end and streaks of red inside the flesh, sweeter, much more mild and larger. This Mr. Stripey is listed on Victory Seeds website: http://www.victoryseeds.com/catalog/vegetable/tomato/tomato_orange.html.

Good luck with them,
Julianna

-
by JV on April 18, 2006 08:14 AM
Thanks everyone I had never seen them before so I bought them same as with the cherokee purple I bought in March if I see one I havent before I try to get it just to see what it is. Dave my Thai chile has peppers on it my Caribbean has some little ones making right now. If I could get near you I would give you a Caribbean as I just discovered two I forgot I had. Had them mislabled.
Jimmy

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Mr. Monkey| Next thread: Mrs. Rufus »
Back to Thread index