The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Quinault Strawberies in metal tub...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Quick tomato question| Next thread: Quince »
Back to Thread index
by ChillnPepper on April 16, 2006 01:17 AM
Question on the container. Does the material of the container have any effect on Quinault Strawberries? The metal tub in question is not rusted. See...we don't have 'seasons' here (TX), we have 'weather'. Last year I planted 4 everbearing strawberry plants and got 1 strawberry! I ate it. It was good too! I was thinking that I may be able to 'save' the plants more readily if I could move them when need be. [thinker]
Whaddaya think?

-
"Live simply; expect little, give much...scatter sunshine."
M. J. McLeod
~Zone 8a~
by peppereater on April 16, 2006 01:31 AM
Hey Chilln...I left you a greeting in New Members. All I could say about the metal tub is that it will conduct heat. I don't know if that would be a problem. Have they fairly filled the container? If not, you may need to put some organic fertilizer in there, or a mild, balanced commercial fertilizer. My quinaults are in full bloom right now, and some have tiny strawberries.
BTW...is this a galvanized tub, like a washtub? Just curious. There may be some issues with the metals in the tub after some years, but nothing to worry about right now.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by peppereater on April 16, 2006 01:37 AM
Hmmm...the more I think about it...I don't think I'd use any nitrate (synthetic) fertilizers in galvanized containers. They would doubtless corrode the metal...have you ever seen what happens to tools in a shed where fertilizer has spilled?
Good reason to go organic...you'll find I'm big on that!

-
Dave
by ChillnPepper on April 16, 2006 02:31 AM
Hmmmm....galvanized? It is a washtub....one of Ace H-ware's specials. Dunno about galvanized. Maybe so if it hasn't rusted yet, huh? S-berries are still in 6-pk container! BUT! They already have 3 berries n some blooms too!

*After thought-no drainage in tub. But probably wouldn't need unless I over watered right? [Eek!]

Am I OVER thinkin' this?

-
M. J. McLeod
~Zone 8a~
by Deborah L. on April 16, 2006 03:01 AM
Quinalts are the only strawberries I grow. They are so sweet, soft and juicy, it's incredible !
The only problem I've seen with Quinalts is that if they are growing too close to one another, they get a fuzzy fungus. When that happens, I cut off the bad leaves.
Maybe the tub is making the soil too hot. My plants are all in clay pots.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on April 16, 2006 03:04 AM
Just saw the part about the tub not having drainage. I would cut a few drainage holes and water deeply when needed.
Drainage holes also provide air circulation, especially if the container is on pot feet or wood blocks or something.

-
 -
by peppereater on April 16, 2006 04:29 AM
Wait, wait, wait, backup a second! [Big Grin]
Now, you said you planted 4 strawberries last year...then said your SB's are still in the 6 pack.
Did last year's plants die?
Do you have any in the tub?
I would agree with Deborah about drainage holes. Whether to put the tub on blocks or not would depend on how fast the soil drains...if you monitor the moisture, that would be best. If you might occasionally neglect them, I'd set them on the ground. There should actually be a tiny "lip" on the bottom of the tub that would, in theory, hold it barely off of the ground. I'd be afraid that any extended period of rain...(yes, it MIGHT rain again in our part of the world! [Big Grin] ) would flood the tub and kill the plants. You could even drill 1/4 inch holes in the sides of the tub at the bottom.
I sure would get them planted...I've let way too many things die sitting in the six packs...believe me, lots! [Eek!]
Keep us posted, Chillin.

-
Dave
by ChillnPepper on April 16, 2006 04:57 AM
But alas, the 4 plants from last year did pass on. [angel] The new ones are still in the 6 pk container. They look maaaarvelous too! I think I will just go with the clay pots...I was kinda skeptical about the 'tub'. Think I'm a gonna put 3 or 4 into pots n the others into the veggie garden. WWWwwwhich brings on another question! Should I 'mound ' the ones in the garden up?

They are just SO pretty that they are making me nuts! [nutz]

Didn't take much, huh?! [Embarrassed]

-
M. J. McLeod
~Zone 8a~
by Deborah L. on April 16, 2006 06:05 AM
Good point about the tub having a "lip", Peppereater. So no pot feet would be needed.
Mounding, Chilln? You mean mounding the soil around the plant? I wouldn't, as strawberries like to be planted with the crown just above the soil line.

-
 -
by ChillnPepper on April 16, 2006 09:58 AM
Hi Deborah!

Actually I was thinking of mounding the dirt up then putting my SB's in...as I have absolutely NO CLUE ! LOL!They all ended up in containers! Planting problem solved.

OK, so,lotsa sun, moderate water. What about food/fertilizer?

I'm trying not to commit strawberry homicide again this year. [dunno]

-
M. J. McLeod
~Zone 8a~
by Deborah L. on April 16, 2006 10:06 AM
Any good brand of food that says for fruits and veggies. I always get mixed up about the ratios, but I bet some plant food savvy friends here can help with that !

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 17, 2006 08:59 PM
Here might help with the q's http://www.thegardenhelper.com/strawberries.html

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Quick tomato question| Next thread: Quince »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: