The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

more questions about strawberries

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: more questions....| Next thread: More Rhododendrons!! »
Back to Thread index
by Bestofour on April 09, 2006 05:43 AM
I finally found some plants at a Hardware store in a town about 25 miles from Monroe. The man told me "these are the last of these and you know they won't produce until next summer." He said they should have been planted outside in October to produce this year. I bought them anyway but I was planning on putting them in big containers rather than in the ground. He said they will produce for about 5 years. 1.How do you guys keep yours for 5 years? 2. Can I still put them in containers?

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by DeepCreekLake on April 09, 2006 09:05 AM
5 years is really too long for any strawberrys. Most growing guides tell you to renew you strawberry plants every 2 years as the plant slow down production and are suseptible to viruses/dieases. You can make new plants with runners, and get rid of the old ones after a few years. Strawberries are cold hardy, but they should be mulched over with straw/hay in the fall. Some people even mow them level to the ground then cover them before the first deep freeze. What cultivar strawberries are they? I planted day Neutrals everbearings this year (Tristars) I have heard alot of positives about them in terms of production and quality.I planted mine in a tower that holds 25 plants. Ill post a report and pics on how they do. These are supposed to fruit this year, and all season until frost! Ill bring my tower indoors in winter-keep them down in the basement until Next Spring.
by Bestofour on April 09, 2006 09:12 AM
Thanks for the info. I look foward to your pictures. I wanted to get the everbearing type too but couldn't find any.

I don't know what kind they are but I'm gonna plant them in my containers and see what happens. What can it hurt.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: more questions....| Next thread: More Rhododendrons!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: