The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

pole beans in a pot

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Wizzard on January 07, 2006 12:54 PM
about a month ago i started 2 pole beans. i planted them in a 14 inch pot. before i put the soil in the pot, i used some bamboo i had lying around to make a trellis type think that goes to the bottom of the pot. wrapped it in a spiral fashion with hemp.
so, the basic point of this topic (if there is one) is that i had no idea pole beans grew so fast. i only started the seeds a month ago, and if they were stretched out they would be about a foot and a half tall already. this is my first time with beans. im amazed. i will try to get some pics uploaded some time.

and speaking of fast. i started my first amaranth about a week ago, they were sprouted in 2 days. thats one of the best sprouting times i have ever had.

ok, enough rambling about my meager indoor garden. im just bored [sleepy]

Wizzards pics
by tkhooper on January 07, 2006 05:11 PM
congrats on the pole beans. It sounds like you gave them just what they wanted.

-
 -
by weezie13 on January 08, 2006 08:06 AM
Wizzard,
Did you know you could put a 6ft pole
and they'd grow that high and beyond......

I think I just read, in one of the catalogs
I just got in the mail, once they reach that high, you can cut off or snip the top or leader off and that will promote side or lateral shoots??

Might try that, if it gets too tall for you?????

I've never grown them before...but I did just read it..

Also, a bit of [teacher] [critic] is that if you plant something else with them that is a nitrogen loving plant... *cause beans put alot of nitrogen back into the soil* you will have two happy plants.
Some examples of good companion plants for Pole Beans are....
Radish, Carrots, Cucumber, Eggplant, Lettuce, Pea, and Corn....

The lettuce would love the shade from the pole bean...*my personal favorite is "Black Seeded Simpson" a romaine type lettuce.. great in texture and taste... [thumb] [grin] [Cool]

Which Amaranth did you plant???

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Wizzard on January 08, 2006 11:49 PM
the amaranth was love lies bleeding. all amaranths are edible right? i think they are....

and on the companion plant. do you think there would be enough room for roots? i like the idea of growing letuce with it. i already have some buttercrunch and salad bowl sprouted. i like salad bowl because of the cut and come again convenience. i only eat letuce about twice a week, and i only have room to grow a couple heads at a time.

Wizzards pics
by Wizzard on January 09, 2006 12:09 AM
i have a question about the tempering of plants. if you start a seedling inside, you have to slowly work up to being able to leave it outside right? well, what if the plant is already full grown or whatnot. for example, those pole beans. once they get big, would i be able to just move them directly outside when danger of frost is past?

and another thing about the pole beans... if they get too tall, im going to run them back down the trellis...then back up. not sure if it will work, but so far they are going which way i tell them. of course thats with me messing with them 2-3 times a day. [sleepy] i just cant wait for spring, when i have more plants to mess with.

Wizzards pics
by Amigatec on January 09, 2006 12:18 AM
I grew some pole beans on my fence 2 years ago. It is a 5' fence and it grew over that and begin going down the over side.

The vines must have been 10' long.

I had to pull them up and look underneath to find the beans.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by hisgal2 on January 09, 2006 02:05 AM
wizzard, you should be able to train your beans to grow zig-zag across the trellis.

And to put them outside, i'd take it slow, but not as slowly as a small baby. I'd let it outside during the day where it would get used to it and then bring it in at night since it might be too cold out there at night. after a couple of days, leave it out until you go to bed then bring it in. the next day, leave it out with a sheet over it just in case it frosts....they should be fine. pole beans tend to be tough...mine went most of the summer without rain and I STILL had 8' vines.

-
 -

-
by weezie13 on January 09, 2006 02:26 AM
Wizzard,
I love the Love Lies Bleeding..
Very pretty and conversationalist type of plant..
 -
I have never heard one way or the other on whether they are edible?? They would seem too crunchy if you ate the seed part if you asked me? [dunno]

quote:
and on the companion plant. do you think there would be enough room for roots? i like the idea of growing letuce with it.
I can't remember the size of pot you had, I'll go back and re~read it.. but I would think a few lettuce's would be fine.. just not to over crowd it.. because beans are also shallow roots too..
Just make sure the pot/container is watered.. and the top isn't allowed to dry out and can drain well...

And beans don't like the cold.. or frosts..
I don't know what your last frost date is in your area.. but don't be in a giganto hurry..
or get some kind of tent or something you can keep them warm..

And putting them in back and forth like Jenn/hisgal said, that's the best thing... don't just leave them out on their own..
think of them as a baby, toddler, etc.. you wouldnt just leave a baby out too long in the sun, or wind.. but they need some time to to get used to it..plants also sprouted in the house or greenhouse out side, haven't grown any wind roots either...because there's never been any wind..
*some things I've read on seeds is to have a small fan on your seedlings, just a slight movement will trigger them to produce those roots.. and be ready for out doors...
same for night time temps, think of your self, just with regular clothes on, you've been indoors, with a nice stable environment, and someone sticks you outside to stand there.. you're too hot in the sun *until you get used to it*, you're freezing in the night temps', cause your heat from indoors is gone, and you're like what the heck [shocked] , or like I said with the wind, if they've never experienced it, and you get hit with a gust of wind, you're over sideways..
Little steps.. but once they get out there, and used to all those different temps, they're pretty steadfast....

Also, something else I read, never let the tip of the pole bean touch soil, they can rot easily and stop the upwards growth...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Wizzard on January 19, 2006 11:10 PM
ok, my beans have been growing well over the past couple of weeks, but yesterday i noticed one of the leaves turning yellow around the edges. today the whole leaf is yellow. what could cause this?

Wizzards pics
by weezie13 on January 19, 2006 11:49 PM
What kind of soil is it planted in?

What have you fertilized it with, if any?????

And when watering... are you letting tons of
water wash thru and drain **like is the draining
toooooo fast??**

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Wizzard on January 20, 2006 02:12 AM
its in miracle grow potting soil. i had ginger planted in part of the soil last year, the other half of the soil is fresh. i dont give it enough water to drain through. fertalize with.... liquid soluable miracle grow, i think.

Wizzards pics
by beebiz on January 20, 2006 04:37 PM
Wizzard,

I just wanted to take a min. and tell you how much I admire the enthusiasm and energy with which you tackel your gardening. I remember being that way.... and would give almost anything if I were still physically able to be that way. Still got the enthusiasm and want to, but am somewhat lacking in the "something to back it up" department!!

Good luck with your beans and everything else.

Robert

My New Web Site If you take a look, please sign my guest book so I'll know you've been there! Also, check out the new African Violet addition to my site! Thanks
by weezie13 on January 20, 2006 10:26 PM
Wizzard,
Here's some..
Color Pictures of Mineral Deficiencies in Beans

Maganese Deficiency????
Potassium deficiency????

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Wizzard on January 21, 2006 02:06 AM
thanx again weezie. it looks and sounds like phosphorus. the first leaf dropped today [Eek!] theres only one other that looks bad so far, i would guess it will be completely wilted in 3-4 days. so im going to go look for something with phosphorus in it

Wizzards pics
by Wizzard on January 26, 2006 03:33 AM
updated pics showing the leaves of the plant

Wizzards pics
by njoynit on February 02, 2006 05:19 AM
amaranth is also used as a type of wheat or grain.you can make flour from it.I've read about it in some pioneering type books.I believe was a buckskinner type book.or maybe one of the mother earth books.if it mentions on the cover....I could find it.Table of contents...umm not too sure.

nice lil potting pics.I have lack of space indoors so do winter sowing.I useually just do a few....but did quiet-a-few this year& still more to go.

Weezie...thats such a sweet love-lies-bleeding picture.I wish my foliage was that pretty last year.it was worse than swiss cheese.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by Wizzard on February 04, 2006 01:22 AM
wild amaranth, known comonly as pigweed (though pigweed is also used for a couple other plants also) is edible as greens also. the young greens for salad, and the older ones for cooked greens. it tastes like spinach kindof. i havent tried it cooked, so i cant say for sure what that tastes like. but i wasnt sure if the cultivated varieties would be edible also. i know some are, but im not sure about love lies bleeding.
oh yeah, btw [thinker] im quite interested in wild edibles, avid camper who likes to walk in the woods for days, and the more food i find, the less i have to carry [thumb]

Wizzards pics
by weezie13 on February 04, 2006 01:37 AM
Wizzard,
Did you know that the dandelion when it's young can be eaten..

And it was brought over by the pilgrams/europeans as a salad green..
**and it kinda got away from them***
D@mn tourists...
LOL!! Just kidding....

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Wizzard on February 05, 2006 11:30 PM
yes i did weezie, [teacher] and you can actualy eat it when its not young, it just tastes very bitter. at that point most people eat it as a cooked green. [thumb]
there are a plethora of edible wilds near me, but i have only just begun to identify them about 8 months ago. there are some i cant seem to find, so im kindof looking for seeds and whatnot.

nobody here would happen to grow jerusalem artichoke would you? also known as wild sunflower. i have been searching my area for that since the begining and cant seem to find any anywhere.

Wizzards pics
by weezie13 on February 05, 2006 11:57 PM
Hey Wizzard,
Not that I don't like getting off track,
cause I love that [Embarrassed] hehehehe,
but what I would do is start another topic in
Seed Section, someone there maybe able to help
you..
Also maybe a post of something similar about
Edible Wild Plants, or something like that that
you like in the Plants and Flower section???
You might get alot more response's than under the bean topic!!!! [thumb] [thumb] [thumb] [flower]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Greenthumb newbee on February 27, 2006 11:29 AM
Althought I never grew pole beans I did grow bush beans. Produced like crazy and not so hard as you say to find the beans. Grew 30 plants and got over 100 lbs of beans easy. I sold ALOT of them at a farmers market. I`ve got to learn how to do canning.
by beebiz on February 28, 2006 02:50 PM
Well, I started 3 pole beans in a pot, they came up, got about 2 feet tall, and looked beautiful. Then I got sick and couldn't take care of them. They have now gone to that great pole bean pot in the sky!! [nutz] [tears]

I'm going to be very busy with all of the tomatoes and peppers that I have planted (only somewhere around 300 seeds total) as well as having to work with my honey bees and having to build a couple of new bee hives. Not to mention the fact that I have 4 rows of Early Alaskan English peas planted! [shocked] I think the "pole beans in a pot" experiment will have to wait until this fall or maybe even winter!! [thumb]

My New Web Site If you take a look, please sign my guest book so I'll know you've been there! Also, check out the new African Violet addition to my site! Thanks

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: