The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

When to harvest Herbs

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by catlover on April 21, 2005 06:35 PM
[flower] Email question from Annamarie!!!

Im growing my first container herb garden...i need to know when to harvest them...i have parsley, basil, oregano, dill, chives, garlic chives, cilantro, etc....they are all sprouting nicely, but i dont know when to harvest or how to harvest them. Also can you tell me anything about these "wonder eggs" that are being sold, they have these little dirt disks and seeds for tomatos and these little eggplants...ive never tried growing eggplants before and i dont know anything about these particular kinds of eggplants...

any help would be greatly appreciated
annamarie

-
 -
 -
by phoenix on April 21, 2005 07:04 PM
hello annmarie i hope this helps
Harvesting
When not pruned regularly, herbs can become quite floppy and unruly. Regular pruning actually
produces a healthier plant, as well as one that is compact and bushy.Annual herbs can be harvested for their leaves any time up to flowering. Pinching the stem back to a leaf node promotes lateral branching. Pull these plants by the roots before seed sets. Herbs that are grown for their seed (dill, fennel, coriander) must be left and allowed to set seed. Perennial herbs can be clipped from late spring until late summer or flowering, whichever comes first. Do not prune later in the season, as this may encourage tender new growth that is vunerable to frost. The quality, flavor, and fragrance of herbs tend to decline after flowering.

this was posted by another forum gardener i remembered reading it so i figured i would pass it on to you [grin]

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: