The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Sick Liquid Amber (Sweet Gum) Tree

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: sick kentia palm| Next thread: SICK OAK TREE »
Back to Thread index
by Mark Witzel on July 03, 2004 12:45 AM
I have a fairly young (about 12' tall, trunk is about 3-4'' diameter) tree. I moved it nearly 3-years ago from front to back yard; prior location was very wet; new location is fine, dry, full sun, etc. Tree is no change; it buds, leaves, has a fall, makes the 'gum ball', but it never grows (at all), and its top bends over. It's been this way since we moved in in Fall 2001 in So Cal.

any help would be appreciated,
Mark
by Phil and Laura on July 05, 2004 05:21 PM
Mark, was it 12 foot tall when you moved it? [wayey]
by Mark Witzel on August 15, 2004 10:43 AM
Phil and Laura,
Regret the tardiness in replying. Yes, the Liquid Amber is the same height now that it was when I moved it 3 years ago. It is 12' tall; it hasn't grown at all. The top 18" droop over a bit; it leaves somewhat, not a great amount. The branches do not grow. Bottom Line: the tree releaves every spring, but it doesn't do anything else.

I have 5 other Liquid Ambers that grow wonderfully.

thanks for any advice.
by catlover on August 18, 2004 07:48 AM
Hi Mark [wayey]
I moved to Fallbrook two and a half yrs. ago. I have 25 Liquid Amber trees...but they were here when I moved in. I have one tree that is showing the same symptoms (bending at the top, as well as, a few limbs that are bending and the whole tree is not growing) as yours for some reason this year for the first time. I have another that is not leaning but not growing.....just produces leaves and balls. I am clueless. [dunno] The only thing I can think of, at least in my situation, is the darn gophers. I am a new gardener .....I joined the Fallbrook Garden Club last year. The only thing I can think to do is call the county extension office (I don't have the number but am sure you can find it on the internet). I will also PM you and give you a name and number for general info. through the Fallbrook Garden Club....the directory doesn't show a person that is specific for trees but I am sure someone can help you or they can point you in the right direction. Another possible source to ask might be Myrtle Creek. [dunno]

If you find out anything I would appreciate it very much if you would please come back here and post what you found out.
Thanks, Catlover [kitty]

-
 -
 -
by Newt on August 21, 2004 09:52 PM
Liquidambar (Sweet Gum) trees don't transplant well as they have a deep roots. Take a look here, expecially at 'Use And Management' on page 3.

http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/trees/LIQSTYA.pdf

Hope this helps,
Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
by Newt on August 21, 2004 10:07 PM
Oops, forgot to tell you to read the last lines on the last page about central leader dieback under 'Diseases'. Your trees could be suffering because they were moved. I'd say to give it some time and even consider staking the bent leader. This site will give you an idea as to how to do this.
http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/plantsci/trees/f1147w.htm

quote:
Mechanical Support. Mechanical support for trees may be necessary when the tree is tall, slow to recover, heavily foliaged, or planted in a sandy site. Most small trees and shrubs do not require staking or other support and will develop strong trunks faster if allowed to move freely with the wind. For trees that do require mechanical support, staking may be used. Two stakes can be placed opposite of each other and the tree anchored to the stakes with a nonabrasive material, such as a soft, broad, fabric strap (Figure 4). Any support provided to a tree should be removed as soon as the tree can stand alone, usually after the first growing season. The sooner the support is removed, the faster the tree will become stronger.
 -

Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: sick kentia palm| Next thread: SICK OAK TREE »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: