The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Drying herbs...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Drying French Tarragon| Next thread: drying of lawn. »
Back to Thread index
by Winter Rosebudd on January 27, 2005 07:33 PM
I have a rosemary monster out back and the oregano is taking over the bed. Does anyone dry herbs? Is there anything I need to do before I dry them? Should I use a dehydrator?

I make alot of soap and I've seen some recipes for soaps with crushed dried herbs in them that I'd like to try too. Has anyone done this before?

Thanks!

-
by 4Ruddy on January 27, 2005 08:42 PM
Hey Rosebud....I have 2 pretty good herb gardens and dry all of my herbs. I don't use a dehydrator or the oven...I just air dry them. I have a great recipe for Rosemay & lavender soap that I will dig up and send you. It makes really good Christmas gifts. That is what I do for all of my family at Christmas is give them dried herbs or things made with my herbs and things out of the garden.
Rosemary is my FAVORITE herb...can't live without it. You can let it dry and then remove the "needles" off of the stem....then I put them in my processor and process tham down to a powder. Dried herbs are stronger in flavor so you don't need to use as much and will make your house smell divine! Throw some rosemary in any of your chicken & fish dishes...YUM YUM!!! I also put a lot of rosemary and basil in my pot roast.
For my basil, thyme,& oregeno, it works better for me to remove the leaves first and then let them dry.
I will dig up that soap recipe and get back to you. Hope this helps some.

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by Winter Rosebudd on January 27, 2005 10:56 PM
Thanks! I'd love your recipe. I'm soaped out...just finished 150 soaps for a rather large baby shower this weekend. I did some great bars with a layer of poppyseeds on top for exfoliating they came out great!

I love Rosemary. My husband doesn't unfortunately. says it tastes like Christmas trees. [Big Grin] I do force him to eat my Rosemary lemon chicken, because I have to have it.

We've got a couple Lavender plants out back, I'm not sure what type they are. Does it matter for soap?

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Drying French Tarragon| Next thread: drying of lawn. »
Back to Thread index