The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

New bug...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: New Bread Machine| Next thread: New Bushes! »
Back to Thread index
by Meg on July 02, 2004 02:26 PM
Ok, I tried to take a picture, but as usual, closeups don't work with my cheapie digital camera. So, I'll resort to describing the little critter, and hopefully ya'll will know what it is, and if it's a problem or not.

What I have all around my pumpkin patch is something that looks kinda like lightening bugs, only smaller. They are small, flighted, black with yellow stripes going the same way they do on a lightening bug. Only I think they are a slight bit more striped then a lightening bug. The seem to like the pollen, they are often found in the flowers with pollen, and coated in the stuff. Now, if these are "bad bugs", is there a predator I can use to get rid of them?? I already have ladybugs and lacewings (eggs ready to hatch of the lacewings) on the way.

And just because I feel like sharing, here's some more photos of my pumpkin patch. [flower]

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by obywan59 on July 02, 2004 04:35 PM
Sounds like striped cucumber beetles. Spray or dust with pyrethrin when adults are seen feeding on pollen in flowers. Apply parasitic nematodes to soil to control larvae. You can also cover plants with row covers, but then you need to hand pollinate flowers to get fruit.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Meg on July 02, 2004 05:32 PM
Thank you Terry! That is exactly my bug. UGH. More parasitic junk to deal with. *sigh* Ok, so I guess I better find me some nematodes, and look for some spray junk. [Razz]

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: New Bread Machine| Next thread: New Bushes! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: