The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Newbie, mad about worms.......

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by CarolK on June 16, 2004 01:52 AM
....and NOT in the loving way!

I am newly retired and loving my container deck garden here in wild and wonderful West Virginia.

When I returned from vacation, I was greeted by wimping broccoli and brussel sprouts.....protect me from the green worms!!! I hand-picked as many of the creatures as I can see and will resume my quest to de-worm tomorrow.

I understand from reading an earlier post that these worms could be from those cute little white butterflies that I so enjoy!!!

Anyway, can I spray something on them? Am I doomed to handpicking?

many thanks for your expertise [teacher] ....I'm taking notes
by Phil and Laura on June 17, 2004 02:05 AM
Yesterday we picked lil bitty worms(1/8th in. long) off of 25 cauliflower and 12 brocolli plants!
As long as you only have a few,and to preserve the beneficial insects, I would hand-pick. You have several options though, Organic, try Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) or Pyrethrins and if you are inclined to use a chemical solution, try Sevin. All the solutions here are under many trade names, so consult your garden center about the brands containing these ingredients.
These worms we picked were the same as your's, just babies...I taught Laura how to Squish em' [Big Grin] She really enjoyed it...(perhaps a little toooooo much) [scaredy]

Oh and Yes, they are from your lil butterflies! [Big Grin]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: