The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

New Perennials for 2004

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: new peace lily owner| Next thread: New Philodendron Question?!? »
Back to Thread index
by alankhart on December 20, 2003 12:20 AM
Has anyone else seen some of the new plants for 2004? There are some really nice ones...for instance, a new Heuchera called 'Marmalade'. It is gorgeous! It has fuffled foliage in shades of "umber to deep sienna, with rosy hues thrown in." There is also a beautiful variegated Euphorbia called 'Tasmanian Tiger.' It has green foliage edged in white, topped with creamy yellow blooms. Check out www.bussegardens.com and www.heronswood.com for more information. I've already placed my order...now if spring would just hurry and get here! >sigh<

-
 -
 -
by Flower on December 20, 2003 12:35 AM
I think one of 2004's must haves is Lisianthus Balboa Blue Rim. I just love this plant. If you haven't grown any yet you might give it a thought. Here is the description....

Lisianthus Balboa Blue Rim
Gorgeous purple-rimmed white blooms are stunning in the garden, elegant and long lived in fresh bouquets!
You have to grow this heat-loving annual to really appreciate the beautiful, rose-like flowers. Lisianthus are native to the American Southwest and this improved variety from Central America is taking gardens by storm. 3-3 ½" white petals are rimmed in rich purple. Narrow, upright plants grow 18-22" tall and look best-planted 7-10" apart. Can be grown in containers, in the middle of beds or in the cutting garden. Good vase life and unique silvery green foliage makes this durable annual a welcomed addition to fresh arrangements.

-
by IowaNovice on December 23, 2003 10:11 PM
Flower....where did you find this lisianthus?
Thanks!

-
by rue anemone on January 06, 2004 04:15 AM
by rue anemone on January 06, 2004 04:17 AM
That is one of the most beautiful plants.

-
 -
by loz on January 06, 2004 06:19 AM
Hey I just got the spring burpee catalog today....anyone else get it???? Anyone ever order anything from them????? There are so many choices in it....lots more than going to the local walmart or lowes....I think I'm going to order some stuff, just wondering if anyone ever had any problems with them before. I've been saving up since I finished my christmas shopping so I can try some new things....
by catlover on January 06, 2004 05:24 PM
Just ordered the catalog....wonder how long it will take to get here!!! [scaredy] Anticipation!!!!

-
 -
 -
by gardengal on January 06, 2004 05:55 PM
Me too, Catlover! [kitty] I can't wait!! [grin]

-
 -
Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
by tamara on January 08, 2004 03:25 PM
I have found a ponentilla thats a perennial instead of a shrub . It's called Monarch's Velvet, gonna have to get a few at www.veseys.com . I get excellent service from this company.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by gardengal on January 08, 2004 05:12 PM
Thanks for sharing Tamara. I ordered a free catalog from them too! [wayey]

-
 -
Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
by loz on January 08, 2004 07:57 PM
Tamara it's a nice site.....I ordered the catalog too...thanks for sharing! [wayey] [thumb]
by catlover on January 08, 2004 08:41 PM
Me three....Thanks Tamara [thumb]

-
 -
 -
by Bess of the Piedmont on January 08, 2004 08:48 PM
Yippee! Me too! I just LOVE getting flower catalogues at this time of year.

Now all I have to do is make sure I don't try to start gardening too early! [Roll Eyes]

-
 -
by loz on January 09, 2004 05:14 AM
Me and mom went to walmart yesterday and they had put alot of the gardening tools, and potting soil back out....yippeeeeeee!!!!! I had to walk around and look at everything because I've missed it....lol I'm pathetic I know, but I got so excited to see it all....it's early still but I have my eyes on some seed starting kits....mom too....we are going to order a whole bunch and share them. [thumb]
by rue anemone on January 09, 2004 04:16 PM
Any more links? Please keep them coming. And THANK YOU!

LOL!! How many catalogs are people allowed to receive?

-
 -
by Daisey on January 11, 2004 12:09 AM
Loz,
I ordered from Burpee last year and didn't have any problems. However, I only ordered plants, not seeds. They are the only place that I've found that sells Ageratum "Blue Danube". I love this plant for the front of the border and have never been able to find it anywhere else. I'll order it again this year and think I'll also try the Lisianthus. Good luck if you decide to order from them!!
by MZSHIRLEY on January 11, 2004 12:19 AM
GREAT SITE. LOVE THAT CALENDAR. SO MANY OF US WAITING FOR SPRING. ANYONE FROM NORTH CENTRAL FLA.?

SHIRLEY
by Sherri on January 11, 2004 01:49 AM
Another really good (Canadian)one is Richters. They are awesome and soon to make alot of money off me. Free catalogue at www.Richters.com
I have one more that has some beautiful flowers in it, but I've never ordered from them before, www.mcfayden.com

-
by tamara on January 11, 2004 02:25 AM
O.K< you gals are gonna cost me a fortune. [Big Grin]

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by catlover on January 11, 2004 08:31 AM
Thanx Sherri....both catalogs send to the U.S. too! [thumb]

-
 -
 -
by rue anemone on January 11, 2004 04:18 PM
Thanks so much.

-
 -
by heuchera on January 14, 2004 11:33 PM
Heucherella Sunspot,from Terra-nova is top of my wish list this year,also Athyrium Lady in red.

One of my fav mail order companys for seed is chilterns,they are based in the Uk but deliver worldwide.
www.chilternseeds.co.uk

-
The grass may be greener on the other side,but you still have to mow it.
by Flower on January 15, 2004 01:37 PM
Sheri....Ricters is a wonderful company, I've ordered from them many times. Heuchera....I've also ordered from Chiltern Seeds as well....it can take all winter getting through their catalogue. It does get a bit costly though.

-
by Sherri on January 15, 2004 04:17 PM
Flower, Chiltern Seeds? I've never heard of them, do they have a website? Free catalogue? I'll have to check them out. I love flipping through seed catalogues! [Wink]

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: new peace lily owner| Next thread: New Philodendron Question?!? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: