The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Fungus that looks like mildew?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: fungus on lavender| Next thread: fungus-y seeds »
Back to Thread index
by regalzephyris on May 20, 2004 12:21 AM
I have a young zebra plant that has - I'm guessing - a fungus of some sort infecting the lower leaves of the plant. The spots are tiny and black on the top of the leaf (mostly on the outer edges) very closely resembling plain old mildew and brown underneath. I noticed these spots appear just over a week ago and it's spread through more than half-way up three seperate stalks of the plant in just a week. ANY ideas what this might be?

THANKS!
-J
by Tempest on June 02, 2004 10:10 AM
I have three recipes that may work for you, courtesy of 'Jerry Baker's Backyard Problem Solver'. (-a wonderful gardening book that ANY gardener should not be without) The first tonic is for black spotting, hence it is called 'BLACK SPOT REMOVER TONIC': 15 tomato leaves, 2 small onions, 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol; chop tomato leaves and onions into finely minced pieces, and steep them in the alcohol overnight. Use a small, sponge-type paintbrush to apply the brew to both tops and bottoms of infected leaves.
next we have a recipe called 'FUNGUS FIGHTER TONIC'-1/2 cup molasses, 1/2 cup powdered milk, 1 tsp. of baking soda, 1 gal. of warm water. Mix the molasses, powdered milk, and baking soda into a paste. Put the mixture into the toe of an old nylon stocking, and let it steep in a gallon of warm water for several hours. Then strain, and use as a fungus fighting spray.
*Last but not least: the POWDERY MILDEW CONTROL TONIC- 4 tbsp baking soda, 2 tbsp Murphy's Oil Soap, 1 gal. warm water. Mix all ingredients together. Pour into handheld mist sprayer, and apply liberally when you see the telltale white spots on your plants, or even before.
Good Luck
Tempest~

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: fungus on lavender| Next thread: fungus-y seeds »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: