The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bearded Iris bulbs

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Bearded Iris| Next thread: Bearded Iris Propagation »
Back to Thread index
by Mrs.Bradley on August 27, 2006 04:27 AM
[grin] never planted iris before,but saw them for sale at Fred Meyer yesterday, a beautiful pink one [flower] . I need all the details ie: when to plant, shade or sun,etc.,etc.,etc. [Smile]

thanks a bunch!!

-
 -
by Bestofour on August 27, 2006 04:36 AM
they like full sun but I've got some around trees that do well in partial shade. Barely cover the rhizome with dirt, don't dig a hole for planting. They don't need much water and will multiply. That's for NC, you'll have to check on Oregon.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by comfrey on August 27, 2006 08:05 AM
You can go here on the forum or to see how deep they should be Here and you can also do a search of the forum..there have been a lot of different discussions about Iris.

-
 -
by joclyn on August 27, 2006 12:44 PM
what zone are you in?

they don't need to be put in too deeply. and they DO multiply very nicely.

when i got mine, i planted them and they grew fine...i planted 3 in one spot and 3 in another...the group that had the full sun for most of the day did much better.

neither group bloomed for the first couple of years tho.

i just split them out this spring (one of the groups - have to do the other in the fall) and i had about 40. pretty good when you consider i started with 3 6 years ago!!
by merrillzone5 on August 31, 2006 03:02 PM
I bought a boxed assortment of 8; 3 years ago from Sam's Club and planted them in the Fall under a tree. They bloom in the Spring; but not at the same time. They seem to bloom around the tree;differently for each color,about a week apart. I think the pink variety was the last one to bloom. Each year the density has doubled;I'm expecting at least 6 to 8 flowers of each variety starting next May. I do put down bulb fertilizer around these plants in the Fall. I just cut this years blades down to about 1/3 their height.I hope info this helps! [Smile]
by joclyn on August 31, 2006 04:10 PM
different varieties will bloom at different times.

merrill, it's probably time to split them out - that should be done every 3-4 years. i waited too long and the crowding caused less blooming over time.

i'd be interested in trading some of my purple for your pink. and/or white if you have any [Smile]
by Bestofour on September 01, 2006 05:35 AM
In my area they are one of the easiest things to grow. The blooms stay for a long time and the drought doesn't seem to bother them, neither do the bugs. Mine are down by the barn, a row about 20 feet long, and I never do a thing to them except wait for them to bloom and use them for cut flowers sometimes. Hope you'll have the same luck.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bearded Iris| Next thread: Bearded Iris Propagation »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: