The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Peppers with baby peppers!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Peppers turning black...| Next thread: Perennial help »
Back to Thread index
by MinnesotaGirlie on July 17, 2005 01:22 AM
Along with my tomatoes, I am also growing 4 kinds of peppers. My sweet banana peppers are growing pretty well, but they have like extra little peppers growing up near the top of each fruit. [nutz] Not every fruit, but maybe half of them. It doesn't seem like it should be a very big problem, probably still edible, but what is causing this and why?

Thanks!

~Angela~
by gardeningwaldo on July 17, 2005 05:12 AM
Any way you could get us a picture of what is going on?
Would it be possible to harvest the larger peppers once they mature, leaving the smaller ones? That is what I would recommend. If there are lots of small ones bunched up at the top, you may have to thin them. Anyway, ideally, the small ones will eventually grow into large peppers too and you can harvest them!
by MinnesotaGirlie on July 17, 2005 08:26 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~tat2dgoddess420/000_0363.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~tat2dgoddess420/000_0364.JPG

There are some links to pics of my problem. It's like the big peppers have mutant peppers growing from them!! Like under the "cap" of the "host" pepper there are mutant ones. Like I said, it looks like they are edible, but just real ugly!! And I'm hoping it won't effect the taste at all!!
[devil]

~Angela~
by MinnesotaGirlie on July 19, 2005 01:01 AM
Does anyone know what the deal is with my peppers?????? [dunno]

~Angela~
by ktoad on July 19, 2005 07:37 AM
I am a novice gardener, only starting this year with two peppers (jalapeno & bell). But I have seen a similar mutation in the peppers I previously bought from the store. Maybe someone else has too:

Did you ever slice into a pepper and find another pepper growing inside it? I ate the mature pepper anyway, discarding the immature one. Tasted just fine with no repercissions. That's about all I can add.

Kelley
by RugbyHukr on July 19, 2005 07:44 AM
No worries, tattoo goddess.

Peppers often have wee ones growing inside. They rarely get big. Take it as a sign of a strong, healthy plant that it is trying to grow every viable fruit.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by MinnesotaGirlie on July 20, 2005 12:03 AM
Well hey that sounds like good news [Smile] gee peppers are so such strange little plants!! The plant does seem to be awfully strong and the fruit is nice and beefy. I guess I'll accept those little mutants as bonus fruit, I'll just have to wait til the host pepper is nice and mature. [clappy] Thanks for responding everyone!!

~Angela~
by Sorellina on July 22, 2005 05:39 AM
When I was a kid, I used to call those "pepper babies". They were always a special treat I'd get during the salad-making process. I like mushroom stems too, so maybe my tastes aren't hugely popular, no clue, lol.

-
by MinnesotaGirlie on July 22, 2005 08:57 PM
HAHA that's cute. I have weird tastes too... I LOVE tomato juice so much I can drink a 64 ounce bottle in two hours.... and I add quite a bit of lemon juice to each glass... so much my mouth gets all puckered and tingly. mmmmmm I love sour things!!

~Angela~

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Peppers turning black...| Next thread: Perennial help »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: