The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Ideas for landscape

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by covergerl on August 19, 2006 04:13 PM
So my sister is buying a house in NJ, and she has a brown thumb so she has asked me to help her with her front yard which is not too large.

I don't have a lot of experience with outdoor gardening but I am pretty good with plants.

I was thinking maybe some evergreen bushes and some pretty low maintence colored plants or flowers.

But I need help, I don't know what would be good for her area, low maintence and also her small son is autistic so I don't want to plant anything that might be poisonous or harmful for him.

Can you guys help me?

Thanks!
by Pianolady on August 19, 2006 04:26 PM
You wouldn't happen to have a photo? That always helps me come up with ideas. What's the style of the house?

The only thing I don't recommend is the row of hedges along the front of the house in a row. There's really nothing low maintenance about that in my opinion, and doesn't add to the curb appeal, just hides the house. If they aren't maintained properly, they get too tall, or turn brown. I've purchased 3 houses now where I've ripped the row out the first week of ownership.

-
by G~mom on August 20, 2006 12:07 AM
Is the area in sun or shade? Can you get some pics for us?

I've always heard that it is not a good idea to have bushes along the front of a house,because it gives someone a place to hide as they break into the home.

-
 -

-
by CapeCod on August 20, 2006 12:12 AM
The traditional yew bushes and a rhody kind of bore me. Take a look at thunderhead pines, false cypress and holly bushes. Gives nice contrast and a little color. A plus is that they are evergreen, slower growing and can be trimmed easily.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: