The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

yellow leaves on my grape tomatos

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Yellow Jackets| Next thread: yellow leaves on soft touch holly »
Back to Thread index
by lambchop on July 05, 2005 08:05 PM
I'm a new gardener (somewhat, after a long hiatus)and I have just started to notice that the leaves on my tomatos are getting bright yellow all of a sudden. I water, fertilize, check for bugs---what's going on and what can I do for this?
by weezie13 on July 05, 2005 09:01 PM
Hello Lambchop,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!!
We're very glad you found us....

Can you tell us a wee~bit about your soil/dirt?
Is it clay, loamy, etc.

Have you been getting alot of rain, or sudden
down pours, where it rains, really fast and
then nothing for a long time..dry spells????

And you say you've watered?
What time of day, how much..???

And you say you've fertilized?
What kind, when, was it a hot day, during the day, etc????

That will help narrow it down a bit for you...

And P/S Welcome fellow New Yorker!!!!
There's lot's to here, especially during our
long cold winters we have here....

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by lambchop on July 06, 2005 08:34 PM
Thank you Weezie for your help---well, the soil around here is loamy, but I potted the tomatos with a mix of the soil and store bought manure. I water the plants in the early morn (before the black flies and deer flies wake)and fertilize once a week with Miracle Gro. We've had hot humid weather w/short sudden downpours so far this summer. Glad to have found this site and sure to return.
by weezie13 on July 06, 2005 08:49 PM
Lambchop,

quote:
the soil around here is loamy, but I potted the tomatos with a mix of the soil and store bought manure.
Your tomatoes are in pots/containers???
When you have loamy soil, and finer soils, sometimes when you water, the water can drain out too quickly and the plants never get the chance to utilize the nutrients that are in the soil or fertilizers...

quote:
fertilize once a week with Miracle Gro.
When you fertilize, is the soil dry or moist/??
Should always do it when the soil is moist and plant is previously hydraded, then fertilize...
that way it won't burn the plants..
Also, always fertilize early in the morning,
never in the HOT SUN!!!!

quote:
Miracle Gro
What numbers are on your Miracle Gro?

Also, next time you mix up the soil,
throw in some Orangic fertilizers, they're slow to release, but is easier on your plants to absorb..
Alfalfa Meal, Bone Meal, Blood Meal, Compost, Cottonseed Meal, Fish Meal...
And a Fish Emulsion is a great foliar feed...
**Just do this in the morning and give the leaves
time to dry before the hot sun comes out...

quote:
Glad to have found this site and sure to return.
There's alot of nice people here, several from New York and there's Banter Hall for chatting too... So have fun!!!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Sorellina on July 12, 2005 12:15 AM
Lambchop,

If the yellow leaves persist after fertilizing, your plants could be suffering from a foliage disease called early blight. Pick off the yellow leaves to slow the spread of the disease. It won't affect the flavour of your tomatoes and they are safe to eat. However, there's not a "cure". If that's what your plant's got, it's just a matter of time before it croaks. Hopefully, it'll give you a nice harvest before that happens.

I've got blight right now on one of my Sungold plants and it's loaded with fruit with lots of healthy blossom clusters near the top of the plant. What I did to "hedge my bets" was to take a "sucker" from the parent plant and put it into a glass of water like you would for a cut flower. This sucker will eventually form roots and I'll then plant it into another container. It's genetically the same as the parent plant, kind of a "clone", and the easiest way to propagate tomatoes. A sucker, in case you don't know, comes out of an "armpit" off of your plant. Take a good look and you'll see sprouts forming from a V from the main stem and a branch. Look for blossoms at the top of the sucker to know that you've got one. It's not necessary to take a sucker with blossoms on it already but it's the easiest way for a novice to know if they've got one. Roots typically take from 3-8 days to form in water and then plant in Pro-mix if you're going to leave it in a container or just plant it in the garden. Do this at the coolest time of the morning and water well with diluted 10-10-10 fertilizer. This should allow you to extend your harvest from a diseased parent plant. You may or may not get blight on your new sucker plant as well, but it's not apt to happen until you've got fruit, so you're still ahead of the game that way.

Hope that helps.

Buona fortuna,
Julianna

-
by lambchop on July 12, 2005 07:51 PM
Thank you Julianna for your assistance in regards to my grape tomato problem. I did start to take off the yellow leaves when I noticed them arriving and it doesn't seem to be going up the plant much. I do have fruit and the plants are continuing to give me nice clusters of blossoms. I didn't know anything about propagating plants until you responded---there sure is a lot to learn. Plus, now I don't feel so silly saying that my tom's are in pots-- I'll take your advice and also follow along w/some suggestions from Weezy (?) and hopefully will be able to enjoy the "fruits" of my labor. It's good to learn these things when my "garden" is small and on the porch before I tackle something larger. I have to struggle with the North country critters and an influx of Japanese beetles but the will is strong,and thanks to this website and people like you I stand a fighting chance. Have a great gardening day---baskets of goodies to you! :-)
by weezie13 on July 12, 2005 08:07 PM
Lambchop,
I grow alot of stuff in containers, buckets,
anything I can get my hands on sometimes....

I have 5 raised beds... but never have enough space...

This year I did some peas in a big round container they sell for like pop or beer buckets
for backyard parties...*Mine accidently got cracks in the bottoms, and I just couldn't throw them out..., filled with dirt, and took some garden fencing and put it in a circle and shoved it in the dirt...we've been harvesting peas for quite sometime now....,I'm even thinking of doing cucumbers like that next year..*

Anyways, keep us posted on all your plants...
Love to hear about them all..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by LMT on July 14, 2005 04:37 AM
Everything is better under watered than over watered.

I didn't water this morning (did Monday) and the plants are stressing. There is a likelyhood of rain this evening/night and whatever we don't get from the sky I will make good with the hose between 7 and 8 AM.

As for fertilizer, back off on nitrogen near the flowering stage. A decent bloom inhancing formula is the way to go. I use 10-60-10 at half dose as the flower buds are forming.

Currently listening to: Vince Guaraldi Trio -- A Charlie Brown Christmas. Adult and contemporary but evocative of youth and innocence, a must own CD.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Yellow Jackets| Next thread: yellow leaves on soft touch holly »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: