The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Mosses turning brown

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Moss Rose?| Next thread: Most problems solved »
Back to Thread index
by merrillzone5 on August 06, 2006 09:06 AM
About 2 months ago I planted Irish and Scottish moss between some flagstone. I used a tree and shrub planting soil mix. I watered the area every day for about 3 weeks and they all seemed to do great; filling in and flowering. Last week they started to brown in the center. The temps were in the mid 90's. I have started to mist them whenever i can. Is this normal and will they recover?
by netty on August 06, 2006 09:41 AM
I lost my Scotch moss this year to the heat (and lack of rain) but they had the brown centers last year and recovered.

-
 -
by patches1414 on August 07, 2006 10:25 AM
It seems the heat and lack of rain is taking a toil on everything these days, so that may be the problem. [dunno]

Personally, I've never grown any of the mosses but from what I remember in my horticulture class is that most mosses will not do well in full sun and prefer a more shaded area. They need humidity and moisture, and they like soil that is acidic, but I can't remember the pH, sorry! [Frown]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by merrillzone5 on August 07, 2006 12:24 PM
I found a website called "moss acres" that had good info;you're right patches1414 they recommend an acidic ph 5.0-6.0. I'm not sure what my soil is in that area. The nursery I bought the moss at said full sun exposure and again initially the plants took off;but I agree that the severity of the heat is affecting everything.
by patches1414 on August 07, 2006 06:37 PM
Thanks a bunch! [muggs] I went to Moss Acres and it does have a lot of good information. [thumb]

quote:
The nursery I bought the moss at said full sun exposure
You know, I used to go strictly by what they said about exposure (sun, partial shade, shade) but I've found that it doesn't always hold true [Frown] and can vary a little bit with some plants tolerating more sun or shade. [Wink]

By the way, my name is Patti and it's on my signature button with the picture of my kitty. [Wink]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by flycats on August 08, 2006 09:03 AM
Scotch and Irish mosses are NOT "true" mosses so they do not need to be in the shade. I have been growing them for years at other houses I owned and they always suffer in the summer. I usually just replant the parts that don't make it and eventually it will all fill in. Mine is doing the same thing and I was REALLY watering it..I think it just the heat stress like everything else! GOOD LUCK!

The cat's asleep, I whisper "kitten", until he stirs a little and begins to purr.
by flycats on August 08, 2006 09:04 AM
I loves the kitty!

The cat's asleep, I whisper "kitten", until he stirs a little and begins to purr.
by merrillzone5 on August 08, 2006 03:58 PM
Glad to be of help Patti. I agree with the both of you in that each plant is going to respond a little differently according to it's environment and current atmospheric conditions. I think these guys will do well once established and under normal growing conditions.Thanks for the input!
by merrillzone5 on August 09, 2006 01:58 PM
Pictures of the moss planting area [Smile]

-
 -
 -
by RugbyHukr on August 09, 2006 02:39 PM
sun exposure is listed generally and you must adapt to your part of the world.

a plant may take full sun connecticut, partial shade in virginia, and need full shade to survive in texas.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by merrillzone5 on August 09, 2006 03:01 PM
So you would think that a plant bought at a local nursery would state the sun exposure level for this plant at this local area. Right?
by patches1414 on August 09, 2006 09:49 PM
Merrill, I've found that pretty much to be true since they usually only carry the plants which will succeed in that particular area, otherwise their customers will not be satisfied, so that's not very good for business! [Frown]

-
 -
by merrillzone5 on August 11, 2006 02:56 PM
You're right Patti [Smile] When I was shopping at this nursery all of the employees pointed me to this one perennial expert for advice. I told her that I wanted an Irish Moss look between my flagstone.
She showed me where they were;but also asked me to consider all of their "stepables" and recommended highly "Red Creeping Thyme"as an alternative.I stuck with Irish Moss and Scottish Moss;but also planted 2 of the Thymes.Around the border i planted a stepable euonymus. As it has turned out so far her advice was right on the money!The "mosses" are doing so-so; the euonymus has done poorly;but the Thyme hasdone excellently. The added bonus of the Thyme is that when you step on it ; it sends out it's aroma!
by merrillzone5 on August 11, 2006 03:14 PM
Here is a recent picture of the "Flagstone planting area"
 -
This just show's the browning of the mosses. I need to get a picture of the "Red Creeping Thyme" at the gate entrance.
by patches1414 on August 11, 2006 03:32 PM
Merrill, I would love [Love] to see the picture, but it says it has been removed. [Frown] As a matter of fact, all of your pictures have been removed. Did you take them out of Photobucket? [dunno]

-
 -
by merrillzone5 on August 12, 2006 01:46 PM
Yes I did. I didn't know that they would disappear from here once copied. I'm looking at them now (total of 4 pictures);3 on one post and 1 on another under this topic. Doesn't everyone else see what i see? [dunno]
by patches1414 on August 12, 2006 06:12 PM
Merrill, I just went back and checked and I still can't see the pictures. I says they have been removed, but it might be my computer because it has been doing funny things today! I guess we will have to wait until someone else shows up to see if they can see them.

-
 -
by merrillzone5 on August 13, 2006 06:37 AM
Patti, I'll put them back on photobucket and copy them (3) to this post.
 -
 -
 -
by merrillzone5 on August 13, 2006 07:03 AM
Here's 3 close-ups of the 3 types of "stepables" in the walkway. Scottish moss,Creeping euonymus,and Creeping Red Thyme.
 -
 -
 -
by patches1414 on August 14, 2006 07:14 PM
Thanks for putting the pictures back, Merrill! [muggs] I love your walkways and they are very nicely done. [thumb] I think you're going to really like the Creeping Red Thyme because I've seen it used before and it looked great! [Wink]

-
 -
by merrillzone5 on August 15, 2006 03:36 PM
Thanks for the compliment Patti [Smile] This is first season growth; I expect losses and adjustments.
If you thrive here; then you are first in line to be planted over the ones that failed here.If you didn't die and you show promise of not only living but looking spectacular; then I will propegate you. So far the Red Creeping Thyme is is my choice. [perplexed] But I expect this may change as we go into another season.Anywho thanks for the input [clappy]
by patches1414 on August 15, 2006 05:26 PM
quote:
If you thrive here; then you are first in line to be planted over the ones that failed here.If you didn't die and you show promise of not only living but looking spectacular; then I will propegate you.
Hey Merrill, I love [Love] your gardening Philosophy. I guess I kinda have the same way of thinking and it works for me! [thumb]

Geesh, I don't know how much my input is worth because I've never seen the Scottish moss or Creeping Euonymus used in a large enough area to know whether I would like it or not. [dunno] I've only seen the Creeping Red Thyme and I thought it was pretty. [Wink]

-
 -
by merrillzone5 on August 16, 2006 03:23 PM
Hey Patti, I have to quit making such profound statements [grin] But honestly I think all of us research our project plantings, do the best preparation for planting,and then try to get them established; doing whatever it takes for that fragile period. You've invested money and time and want results. But I think sometimes the plant is "just not right" for our specific environment.For me,I look at it as I did all I could,it isn't thriving;plant something else. [thumb]
by patches1414 on August 16, 2006 04:09 PM
quote:
I think sometimes the plant is "just not right" for our specific environment.For me,I look at it as I did all I could,it isn't thriving; plant something else.
Merrill, I totallly agree! I have plants thriving in my garden that should not be doing well in my area, and I've also had plants that should do well, but don't!!! You really just have to see what works for you and your situation and go from there. It seems like it's always a trial and error adventure!

-
 -
by merrillzone5 on August 18, 2006 03:19 PM
Yes Patti, it seems that for that first month after planting;the little newby was just mean't to be here. Then all of a sudden it goes into some sort of dying mode and you have to know how to save it! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] With some the changes are minor;with others they're fast and furious;needing immediate attention!Is there a doctor in the house!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] :)What's ironic is some you want to die; you can't kill; their everlasting! [kissies]
by patches1414 on August 18, 2006 03:45 PM
quote:
What's ironic is some you want to die; you can't kill; their everlasting!
Oh Merrill, you hit the nail right on the head. I've been there and done that so many times I've lost count. There was the Yarrow which I planted for the butterflies and I got butterflies, but I had Yarrow coming up everywhere, even out of the bed and in the grass. It took me three years to finally get rid of it. Next was the pink Obedient Plant which was anything but obedient! It was taking over one of my perennials beds and it took two years to get rid of it, but I still find one poppping up every once in a while, so I have to keep a close eye on things. Merrill, the list goes on and on and on! The most frustrating thing is that you pay good money for these plants and all you get is headaches in return.

-
 -
by merrillzone5 on August 19, 2006 03:03 PM
Patti, I find experimenting with ANNUALS in pots outdoors gives me "some" plant education as to watering and sun exposure. 1:They are contained [Big Grin] ;2:I can put them anywhere I want quickly, [Wink] and 3: I already know their going to die at the end of their season. [tongue] The education is how well did i "treat them during their stay with me" period. [teacher] This technique has helped me the best to understand the type plant and the area to plant it.A small investment to a larger project! [thinker]
by patches1414 on August 19, 2006 10:36 PM
Merrill, I tend to stick with a few tried and true annuals that I like and use them mostly for their color. I find most of them require a lot of water and their exposure requirements tend to be pretty consistent. I use a lot of Impatiens for shade, and Begonias do well in sun or partial shade, while Petunias and Geraniums do well in sun. Of course, I overwinter my Geraniums and collect some from the neighbors who are throwing them out, but I have to make sure I can get them before the first frost.

Here is a picture of one that I got from a neighbor and overwintered. When she saw it the next year she remarked about what a gorgeous plant it was and asked where I got it. When I told her it was one she gave me, she couldn't believe it. I knew it had to be one of those she she gave me because she's the only one who gave me red ones and I don't buy red. Some of the blooms got almost as big as softballs which were much bigger flowers than when she had it.

-

-
 -
by merrillzone5 on August 20, 2006 07:20 AM
Those look gorgeous Patti! I've never tried overwintering before.I like marigolds, impatiens, and moss rose for my 3 permanent patio planters and coleus,asparagus fern, maybe some sage or yarrow as a mix for my larger pots.I'll look and see if I have any photos. I'll post them if i do. [wavey]
by merrillzone5 on August 20, 2006 07:30 AM
Patti, here are 3 pictures of my 2 pots I planted this year.
 -
 -
 -
by merrillzone5 on August 20, 2006 07:40 AM
Now if I can find the patio planters photos.
 -
 -
 -
by patches1414 on August 20, 2006 09:05 AM
Oh, Merrill, your containers are absolutely gorgeous! I love your patio plantings too, especially, the one with the Impatiens!

-
 -
by merrillzone5 on August 20, 2006 11:43 AM
Thanks Patti,in my opinion the patio planters did so-so; I'll give them a 6.5 on Scale of 1 to 10. I was very pleased with the pots as all seemed to do well and survived the sun and heat. They definitely needed daily attention;but filled in very well. The Pplanters didn't fill in as much as I had hoped;the marigolds and the impatiens; but the moss rose did the best. I compare their little flowers to a "Baskin Robbins 31 Flavors" array of colors.I like changing the annuals each year;so who know's what next year's planting's will be! [Big Grin]
by patches1414 on August 20, 2006 11:55 AM
Merrill, I don't know when you took the pictures of the patio planters, but you still have some time left for them to fill in a little more. Some of the flowers you have in the containers tend to become a little more bushy so they will look fuller. Of course, these summer temperatures we've been having certainly have taken a toll on everyones gardens and flowers.

-
 -
by merrillzone5 on August 20, 2006 02:07 PM
Come end of September; I 'll look at the Pplanters and that will help to decide what and how much to plant next year(Annuals).This week has affected all my plants ;negatively as far as visually. But are they doing something positive below the surface? Are the roots of the new shade plantings perennials establishing?This might be a new forum posting as to what should i be doing now and next month? [thinker]
by patches1414 on August 20, 2006 07:10 PM
quote:
This week has affected all my plants ;negatively as far as visually. But are they doing something positive below the surface? Are the roots of the new shade plantings perennials establishing?
Boy, I hear you, Merrill! This has been a rough summer for everyone! I think your perennials will be okay if you've kept them watered during this heat wave. They always die back in the winter anyway, but come next spring they'll start poking their little heads out.

-
 -
by merrillzone5 on September 29, 2006 10:00 AM
Back to the mosses. I'm actually seeing how they spread! Between the flagstone I'm seeing tiny moss heads coming up. It's like they are seed plantings;but are there just because a real plant was placed in the one foot vicinity this spring. I understand that they don't have a real root system so I'm amazed at what I'm seeing! I was told that it would probably take about a year to fill in the area that I wanted to fill. After 5 months I thought no way; but now I think that is very attainable! I'll see if I can post some time line pictures.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Moss Rose?| Next thread: Most problems solved »
Back to Thread index