The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Daisies from seed

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Dahlias not blooming| Next thread: Dalhia »
Back to Thread index
by Stuspot on July 12, 2006 07:43 AM
I have a veggie garden, I have some perennials and I plant some annuals every year. But I have always bought all my bedding plants; I've never managed to plant my own tomatoes or petunias from seed.

But this year we are trying to grow some alaska daisies from seed. And it's been working out but the planties just seem so delicate. They are about 2 inches tall but I don't see how they are ever going to turn into the sturdy little plants they'll need to be for me to plant them outside.

Everyday a couple more of the daisy babies keel over and are no longer with us. We keep them moist and they get plenty of sun. I just don't get it.

How do people (greenhouses, YOU, my parents, etc.) grow bedding plants that get strong enough to plant in the ground? [dunno] Any advice for me?

Thanks!!
by alankhart on July 13, 2006 04:19 AM
Starting plants inside can be a hit or miss thing. They need about 16 hours of sunlight or artificial light to grow strong, and then you have to deal with 'damping off', a disease that kills young seedlings. I usually put my seedlings outside during the day as soon as the weather permits, slowly increasing the amount of direct sunlight and bringing them back in if the temps are going to drop. I find that direct sun is usually better than artificial light. There's not much you can do about damping off. Make sure you are usuing a sterile potting soil and don't overwater them. Also, some plants just do better when started directly in the ground, so you might also try that.

-
 -
 -
by Stuspot on July 13, 2006 06:15 AM
Thanks! I guess they haven't been getting enough light then. The package specifically said to start them inside instead of seeding directly, so that's why we tried it this time.

I am thinking that I need a new house with more light. [Smile]
by neko nomad on July 13, 2006 10:08 AM
Hi Stuspot,

Perhaps you will find my posts on Planting Flowers From Seed (scroll down the page for them)helpful, since your hardiness zone is close to mine. I've shown my method from start to finish in setting out new perennials, which has worked for me for years. With a bit of finetuning for your situation, it should work for you also.
Starting from seed widens your range of plant choices for your garden.

Wishing you good luck.
by SpringFever on July 13, 2006 11:02 AM
I did Mine direct sew they did great BUT do not expect flowers the first year.. And only a few the fallowing!! This is after 4 years!! Good luck with yours!!

-

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by gailo on July 21, 2006 04:25 AM
I was wondering why, although they look quite lush and healthy my Shasta Daisy did not produce any flowers this year. Is it because I just planted it last summer? I though perhaps i wasn't feeding it correctly. Thanks for any help in advance.

gailo
by SpringFever on July 21, 2006 05:35 AM
It took mine 2 seasons.. I planted the seeds the first ... Had nice looking plants the second and the 3rd I had a few flowers and they kept growing from there... I do use compost on them though..as well as fertalize them every 3 weeks or so before blooming!Good luck with yours [thumb] [wavey]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Dahlias not blooming| Next thread: Dalhia »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: