The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I was so worried.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Stuspot on June 27, 2006 05:58 AM
I, too, had never grown any roses before. I bought some, I ordered some and I planted them all. I gave them epsom salts and the special tea recipe someone posted here.

The ones I bought locally were doing great but the ones I'd ordered from a catalog (they came as bare roots) were still just sticks. Sticks for so long.

But now!! Now I see new growth on all plants.

This is a hybrid tea that is suppose to have orange flowers. All the leaves you see are new growth!! YAY!!

-

This one and the one above were both bare roots when they arrived, and this one especially was just sticks for so long after I planted them. But now, I see leaves. [clappy] This one is a red climber.

-

And this one, I post just because it has some pretty blooms on it. I bought it locally at a greenhouse and I don't really know for sure but I think it's going to be a nice sized shrub rose. Eventually. [grin]

-

I have a total of 6 roses, all new, in my "rose garden." They are all doing pretty well and I think a big part of all this new growth has to do with the tea that was posted here. Good stuff. Thanks!!

This is such a great forum. [Love]
by ChillnPepper on June 27, 2006 07:54 AM
Those blooms are a gorgeous color! I'm afraid of roses! [scaredy] I may get up the nerve to try some tho.

I'd like to have a climber I think.... [thinker]

-
"Live simply; expect little, give much...scatter sunshine."
M. J. McLeod
~Zone 8a~
by Squirrel on June 27, 2006 01:50 PM
Terri, I was afraid of them too. But my husband really likes them. So I thought I would try one last year. I got the care free type. Well, it's just gorgeous. So we got another one this year. It's not care free, so I'm hoping it does well. Go for IT, girl. :thumbup:Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by Stuspot on June 28, 2006 02:56 AM
I was scared too Terri, but then I thought why not just try it? I'm in zone 3-4, so I had to put some real thought into which roses I could get, but if you're in Texas I would think you could pretty much get whatever you wanted.

I keep wondering if my two climbers are going to need a trellis this year or not. Climbers are very pretty if you decide to go that route. But I am really looking forward to this "morning sunrise" shrub rose we bought--I'm hoping it'll just turn into a large 3'x3'x3' bush that is covered with yellow/orange/pink roses.

My vision of what WILL happen one day is always prettier than the reality of today. But one day, I believe that real life will actually catch up with my vison. [grin]
by weezie13 on June 28, 2006 03:40 AM
Wayyyyyyyy to go...
Rose's aren't too hard, just certain requirements and then they are very happy and reward you..

I am not much of a rose grower, only because I don't have much time, and they do require a bit o'maintainence, which I don't have much time for..
I do have a few, they treat me kindly...

But don't forget the rule of thumb for fertilizing/epsom salts...
May 1st, June 1st, July st, and August 1st,
and that's it... nothing more after the first of Aug, cause you want them to go to sleep soon, for winter time... and don't want anyyy new green growth for winter..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by dodge on June 28, 2006 12:43 PM
I was scared of them too, someone sent me this one last fall....Here are the results..
All I did was put bonemeal into the hole and planted it ..........I am a bonemeal person.

dodge  -

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by weezie13 on June 28, 2006 12:51 PM
Any "Organic" type substance is very good for a plant...and easier on the plant to utilize....

(one thing though is you have to make sure that blood and bone meal are buried into the soil...
As you'll attrack animals who would eat meat,
like big dogs, or coyotes, etc....0

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: