The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

sunflower leaf holes

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Sunflower Buds| Next thread: sunflower mush »
Back to Thread index
by eClaire on June 21, 2006 04:52 AM
i was wondering if anyone knew of any pests that munch on giant sunflower leaves, mine are almost 8 feet tall, but the upper leaves recently have holes in them...not sure what pest could crawl up there without me seeing it!

they are getting ready to bloom...but the leaves are now looking scraggled and eaten. i have had snail/slug issues this year, as well as i am now seeing some baby grasshoppers(not happy about that), but again, these leaves are too high up for them i think.

any ideas?? Thanks!!

Claire
by alankhart on June 21, 2006 05:46 AM
Sounds like Japanese Beetles. They attack my Hollyhocks, Mallows, Japanese Maples, Larry Lauder's Walking Stick, Sunflowers, blah blah blah, every year! I use the beetle traps, but they don't seem to help all that much. Some say all they do is attract more beetles to your yard.

-
 -
 -
by DAISYSMURF on June 22, 2006 09:36 AM
My only guess would be aphids or something very tiny of the like. I haven't taken my pest management class yet!!

BTW, Can you guys tell me where the seeds are? I always thought they were in the "face" of the flower, but looking at mine they don't look like seeds. I'm wanting to munch on them!!!
by markr on June 22, 2006 12:18 PM
Thats were they will be, just got to wait for them to come after the flower has finished.

-
Mark

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Sunflower Buds| Next thread: sunflower mush »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: