The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

White Chocolate Bavarian Cream Cake

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
by Sorellina on January 21, 2005 04:23 PM
For the meringue cakes:

4 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 c granulated sugar

For the Bavarian Cream and garnish:

2 egg yolks
1/2 c granulated sugar
2 Tbsp flour
1 c warm milk
4 oz white chocolate, finely chopped
3 gelatin sheets (or substitute 2 tsp unflavoured powdered gelatin)
6 c whipped cream, divided
icing (confectioner's) sugar for dusting

Pre-heat oven to 275F. Prepare the meringue cakes: in a bowl, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar on high speed, adding the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form. Transfer the meringue to a pastry bag. Starting in the centre, pipe spirals of meringue onto 2 separate baking sheets lined with parchment paper to form 9" circles. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.

Meanwhile, prepare the Bavarian Cream: in a saucepan over med heat, combine egg yolks with the sugar, flour, milk, and chocolate. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 8 - 10 minutes, stirring constantly. In a small bowl, soak the gelatin sheets in cold water for 3 mins, and drain well (or bloom the gelatin powder in cold water). Add to the saucepan, and remove from the heat. Stir until the mixture starts to thicken and resembles a custard, and set aside to cool. Fold 3 c of the whipped cream into the chocolate custard, and spread the mixture evenly into a 9" ring mold. Refrigerate 4 hrs.

Sprinkle the meringue cakes with icing sugar. A sieve works great for this. Unmold the white chocolate custard onto one of them, and place the other one on top. Garnish with the remaining whipped cream (use the dollop method, make mounds of whipped cream all around the meringue) and sprinkle with more icing sugar. Serves 6

For the record, I've never used gelatin sheets myself, unflavoured powdered gelatin works just fine. If any of you have ever made pavlovas, that's what this is, with Bavarian Cream as the filling.

Buon fortuna !!

Julianna
by 4Ruddy on January 22, 2005 06:05 AM
Thanks Julianna...I love to try different recipes and this sounds like something right up my alley! Have some friends coming over and just might really dazzel them! [flower]

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by weezie13 on January 30, 2005 03:53 AM
Man do those sound tasty!!!!!!!!

Got a question though?????

Do you havta use white chocolate??
Or can you use a milk chocolate or a dark chocolate???
Hence the name I know, white.. but the other's sound tasty too!!

Just curious!!!

Thanks for posting that one!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: