The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Honeysuckle Vine

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Honeysuckle trouble| Next thread: honeysuckle vine »
Back to Thread index
by McNan on June 12, 2006 02:27 AM
I have two honeysuckle vines growing on either side of my south facing trellis. They're about 4 years old. There's an old Maple tree to the west of the trellis, so that side is always a little behind compared to the east side.

This year some of the leaves are turning black and/or spotty and it doesn't look so good (mainly on the west side). It has been a very rainy season here in northern Maine so far.

Do I have some sort of mildew? What can I do about it? Or should I just sit it out until the sun comes back into our lives?

Thanks for any help you can give.
by peppereater on June 12, 2006 09:36 AM
Honeysuckles are really tough, I wouldn't worry. I'm in the south, though, so you may wait and hear what others say. Black spots could also indicate aphids, but even those on honeysuckle will tend to run their course. Honeysuckles produce abundant new growth, and the new leaves should be unaffected by the problems you see early.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by McNan on June 13, 2006 02:03 AM
Thanks.

They're blooming to beat the band, but look a little weary. I'm hoping once it dries up they'll come around.

Thanks again.
by pagarden on June 13, 2006 02:15 AM
i'm going to take a guess and say it'll be fine. i have honeysuckle growing on a fence and the thing grows like a weed! i cut it to the ground every fall and right now the stuff is outta control! it's beautiful all full and the smell in heavenly but it really is a weed! LOL it's so hardy i think yours will be fine.
by McNan on June 16, 2006 12:08 PM
It's already looking better. I don't know if it actually is better, or if the moral support you have given is working on me :^)

I've given them a close look and I don't see aphids.

Should I be cutting them back? I've pruned a bit, but nothing drastic. They're getting more than a bit out of hand. Could I cut them now? I would LOVE to get them back in some sort of organized chaos if I could.
by peppereater on June 19, 2006 10:53 AM
We cut our's back all the time. I think they shut down some in the heat, but they can bloom all season if well watered and if the heat doesn't get too bad.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Honeysuckle trouble| Next thread: honeysuckle vine »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: