The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

splitting ferns?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: split pears| Next thread: Splitting tomatoes »
Back to Thread index
by dedee on December 11, 2005 01:03 PM
I need to divide 2 boston ferns. 1 fern is in a 10" pot very rootbound and the outher is in a very large probably 20" pot slightly rootbound. I have split a aparugus fern before just by cutting the rootball in half. I have no ideal if this is the proper way to split a Boston Fern.
I would like to split the very large fern into 2.
I think the smaller fern I will just go up to a larger pot if it doesnt need to be split.
What is the best soil for a fern?
The ferns didnt cost me a thing. The church I attend threw them out. So I braught them home. They are the biggest ferns I have ever seen (huge) the largest fern is about 3 foot wide and 3 foot tall. It is the one that makes me nervouse on how to properly care for it.
I would appreciate any advise or words of wisdom.

[flower] Have a Beautiful Day !!! [flower]
by rogmee on December 12, 2005 08:11 AM
I divide mine with a Butcher knife. Just half or quarter it like you did with your asparagus fern.

There are many many types of "Boston Fern". The one I have likes bright indirect light, even watering and a little liquid fertilizer now and then. It can be a little finicky if it's moved around a lot.

It should like any good potting mix you like to use.

Good Luck
by dedee on December 12, 2005 02:41 PM
Thanks [flower]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: split pears| Next thread: Splitting tomatoes »
Back to Thread index