The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My winter squash are splitting

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: My Winter Occupation| Next thread: My wrens are back! »
Back to Thread index
by ethel on August 25, 2004 07:16 AM
Does anyone know why my butternut squash may be splitting? They have gotten very big - just too big or is there another problem? Here in Colorado we've had a lot of rain this summer - very unusual for us - so my cucumbers are also curving. Could excess water also be causing my squash to grow too quickly and split? The squash are a beautiful size, but the skins are still greenish, not tan yet so I know they aren't ready to harvest. Help!

Ethel
Highlands Ranch, CO
by Phil and Laura on August 25, 2004 01:04 PM
fluctuating temps, a rainy spell or excessive watering-after a dry spell can do this; Also, what do you use for fertilizer? any fertilizer with a high K; in the NPK ratio, at this stage will cause increased growth; however, it Can also cause ANY type of winter Squash or Pumpkin to actually, BLOW OUT. Let me know if this helps [wayey]
by parrothead on September 01, 2004 09:52 PM
I was interested to read that a high K can blow out squash. Having moved into an area with new soil conditions, my zukes are fat and pudgy, even when small. I bought them as starts as we moved here late in growing season; I thought they'd been mis-labeled! Thanx for the tip!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: My Winter Occupation| Next thread: My wrens are back! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: