The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Do Aloe Vera Seed?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by tkhooper on November 20, 2005 11:28 PM
I have a variegated species of Aloe that bloomed for the first time. I can't say the blooms were anything to write hope about being long pale pink tubes. But they have started to dry up and fall off of the plant. And I was wondering if they might harbor a seed. Thank you for your help and information.

-
 -
by Stupe on November 21, 2005 02:46 PM
Not too sure if they seed, but the aloe my mum and mum in law has is sprouting from the roots/soil instead...loads of them.

Stupe
by Bill on November 21, 2005 08:19 PM
Aloes will produce seeds if the flower gets pollinated. Unfortunately, there aren't many critters who are capable of doing the pollinating because of the flower's size and tube shape. Hummingbirds are Aloes primary pollinators!

-
by tkhooper on November 21, 2005 08:39 PM
I can understand that. Thanks Bill. The flowers sure weren't pretty like G-moms. I was very disappointed. And now I don't even get seeds lol. Oh well it's Thanksgiving this week and that is a great thing.

-
 -
by margaret e. pell on November 21, 2005 11:13 PM
Aloe aren't self fertile - it takes two!

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by margaret e. pell on November 22, 2005 04:59 AM
Oh, and you can do it with a little paint brush. I've grown several interesting hybrids that way.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!

Active Garden Forum