The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Mums

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: mums| Next thread: Mums »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on May 27, 2006 02:27 AM
My mums are setting buds now. I didn't know they would do that. Should I let them bloom? If I do will that decrease the blooms in the fall? They aren't nearly as large as they were last year so I would like to increase their size.

-
 -
by Squirrel on May 27, 2006 03:07 AM
I`m no expert, but I do know that people around here pinch off tips up until July. It makes a bushier plant. I can`t imagine your mum getting buds already!! Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by johnCT on May 27, 2006 03:45 AM
I normally top my mums a few times until mid July so they fill out, stay compact, and cover themselves with blooms come late summer. The first year after I overwintered them, I didn't prune them at all. They got really tall, had minimal blooms on long stems that all fell over and looked terrible. Cut or pinch them back to the first set of leaves on each stem.

John - Zone 6
by tkhooper on May 27, 2006 03:47 AM
Thankyou John,

That's the information I was looking for. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with all my questions.

Even though I study the posts and the fact sheets on this site everyday it seems like there is still a zillion things to learn about gardening. And I only have a very small patch of ground lol.

-
 -
by tkhooper on May 27, 2006 04:28 AM
I went out and pruned all three of the surviving mums I think I have the white daisy shaped one a yellow one and one a lovely bronze color. Then I used the root stimulator on them and planted them in starter pots that I can keep in the shade until they root. Hope it works. That way I would have some flowers for some of my friends. My neighbor especially likes flowers and doesn't have that many that bloom in the fall.

-
 -
by johnCT on May 27, 2006 04:47 AM
I'm sure they'll root well. You'll have more mums than you know what to do with! [muggs]

John - Zone 6

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: mums| Next thread: Mums »
Back to Thread index