The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

soil pests part 2

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: soil pests?| Next thread: soil/pot seperating? »
Back to Thread index
by chair on October 30, 2005 05:44 PM
first, thanks for all your help last time. i followed the advice but the problem does not seem to have been resolved. there are tiny white bugs living in the soil of my house plants. they look like tiny crawling dashes. one plant a succulent, had tons of them, the leaves were turning yellow and getting rough spots. so i threw it out and noticed webbing throughout the soil.
last time i mentioned that we had seen flies as well. i haven't seen any since then.
the advice was that i had fungus gnats. i let everything dry out and used potato slices. this Friday i decided to give a minimal amount of water to the plants that looked very droopy. and, unfortunately, i saw the white dashes again. Thanks so much!
by barleychown on October 31, 2005 01:14 AM
Try a google image search for mealy bugs...I have had them in the soil before.

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by psu1943 on October 31, 2005 11:11 AM
Fungus gnats flies is most likely the problem. An easy solution is tobacco ashes scattered on the soil surface. I quit smoking 6 years ago but have a couple friends save cigarette ashes for me to control insects in the soil.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: soil pests?| Next thread: soil/pot seperating? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: