The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

soil/pot seperating?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: soil pests part 2| Next thread: Soil question »
Back to Thread index
by syl726 on June 24, 2004 02:46 PM
While visiting a friend, I noticed the soil in a few of her potted plants seems to have "seperated" from the pot [Frown] She told me that when she waters the water seems to flow straight through. I know that the soil will take the shape of the container it's in but this soil was like a container all its own, not touching the sides of the pot at all [shocked] What causes that and should it be corrected? Does she need to repot? Can this condition stunt the plants growth?
by Nako on June 24, 2004 05:21 PM
This kinda stuff happens a lot with my plants that require lotsa water. What happens is that the soil has compacted. Imagaine a pile of rocks. When you shake the pile of rocks, it settles. Well that's what's happened with the soil. Its all settled, and stuff. Below the surface, the water is still being retained, so don't worry. What your friend can do is water the plant until water comes out the bottom. Then let it drain, until it stops. That should be enough for most plants.

It happens to my bird of paradice, mystery plant, and my rubber plant a lot, and they need to be kept moist. So i don't think its any real cause for alarm.

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: soil pests part 2| Next thread: Soil question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: