The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Aloe plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Aloe Plant| Next thread: Aloe Plant »
Back to Thread index
by jodicla on October 27, 2005 02:25 AM
WE have a big aloe plant that has been outside on a sunny deck all summer. One day it received too much direct sun and looked to be burned. Many of the lower leaves turned brown, got mushy and then dried up. ( we moved it that day but the damage was done) now the middle of the plant looks healthy again but the brown,shriveled leaves are still there. Can I cut or break them off without hurting the plant. We are getting ready to bring it in for the winter and it looks BAAAAD.
by mom54 on October 27, 2005 02:40 AM
I don't think it will hurt the plant to cut the yucky stuff off. It will probably thank you. [Roll Eyes]

-
by tkhooper on October 27, 2005 04:37 AM
No problem, you should cut those parts off. Hope you have much joy of all your houseplants all fall and winter long.

-
 -
by margaret e. pell on October 28, 2005 04:33 AM
If the leaf is ok at the stem and you can take it off right at the stem, you can cut the damaged part off, set the leaf on damp sand, vermiculite, or a mixture of both, and it will grow a new plant from where the leaf met the stem. Have fun.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by Stupe on October 28, 2005 10:47 AM
Aloe is one of the more ahrdy plants around,

cut if off like Margaret said and you will get new plant!

Stupe
by Erich on November 02, 2005 12:23 PM
Aloes (and many succulents) take time to adjust to changes in light. I had a massive aloe plant that lived inside for a year and then was moved outside to a shady area. It did get a bit brown but eventually grew out of it. As the above posts said, cut the nasty parts off. They just drain the plant's energy and hinder the growth of healthier parts.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Aloe Plant| Next thread: Aloe Plant »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: