The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

grass seed in my garden...HELP!!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: grass odor| Next thread: Grasshopper question. »
Back to Thread index
by Nancy Huntington LI, NY on May 18, 2006 09:37 AM
We put up a lovely privacy fence & I now have a large private area with a "beautiful garden in progress" in an area of the yard we never used before. I'm happy as a piggy;-). I'm out there working every day after work until dark & every weekend. THE PROBLEM.....my dear husband decided we did not need to sod the area near my garden where we lost the grass (due to the construction) and that he would seed a new lawn. WELL, he bought a hand seed spreader & lots of seed....and proceeded to seed MY NEW GARDEN!!!! I tried in vein to get the seeds out of my new, clean, beautiful fresh top soil. UGGGGG! I NOW HAVE TINY BLADES OF GRASS APPEARING EVERYWHERE....HELP. I try turning the soil often it is not helping, I try plucking too. I have already planted my perennials, grasses, roses & shrubs prior to his seeding. So I have to work around them.
ANY SUGGESTIONS that don’t involve VIOLENCE!!!!

(I dont know how to attach photos or I would have)

Nancy
by plants 'n pots on May 18, 2006 09:50 AM
Welcome to another NYer, Nancy!

Is your husband's name Don, by any chance? [Big Grin] [dunno] [Roll Eyes]
Mine does the same thing every year!
I am constantly picking sprouting grass out of my garden beds, no matter how many times I ask him to be more careful!

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I certainly can commiserate!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by johnCT on May 19, 2006 01:25 AM
Try Preen quickly to control the seed that has not yet germinated, but for the seed that already has you're pretty much out of luck and will need to hand pull. Herbicides are out of the question since you've already planted.

John - Zone 6
by RugbyHukr on May 19, 2006 02:00 AM
there is a product called 'Grass Getter' that will kill grasses w/o hurting ornamentals, you can spray right over them.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by Nancy Huntington LI, NY on May 19, 2006 04:06 AM
Grass getter!!! Great!! That should also work in my gravel path that was also seeded!

To All, thank you for your suggestions & sympathy.

Nancy
by johnCT on May 20, 2006 12:55 AM
The gravel path can be sprayed with Roundup or some other glyphosate containing herbicide. It is non-selective though, so spray carefully only on what you wan't to kill.

John - Zone 6
by Wrennie on May 20, 2006 01:02 AM
Nancy
I had a patch of ground all weeded out, ready for me to put in perrenials, and my BF decided he'd help me outside by seeding the bare spots! [perplexed] I raked out what I could and just kept weeding as it sprouted. I put a heavy layer of bark mulch too so some was just too weak to get a good hold and easier to pull.
{I'm Nancy in NY too!}

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: grass odor| Next thread: Grasshopper question. »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: