The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Anyone know what this is?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Arthur on October 24, 2005 04:59 AM
I was given a potted plant with the name Aechmea Fasciata Morgana. Does this have an English name? What is the best way to care for it? It is supposed to flower twice a year, and reaches about 3 feet in height. And it produces babies, which is why we were given this one!
by Jiffymouse on October 24, 2005 06:41 AM
what you have is a bromiliad. that are in the same class of plant as a pine apple, as well as other very beautiful plants. if you check out this post you will find a pictuer of one kind of bromiliad, (there are bunches) and lots of good care info!
by margaret e. pell on October 28, 2005 04:47 AM
www.desert-tropicals.com is one of my favorite sites for plant info. Your Aechmea Fasciata is there, though the variety Morgana is not mentioned. It looks pretty, enjoy it!

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by Will Creed on October 28, 2005 08:22 AM
Hi Arthur,

Your Aechmea will only bloom once before it gradually dies over the course of a year or two. During that time it will produce one or more offsets or baby plants. The offsets can be left on the "mother" plant or severed and potted up separately. It often takes a couple of years or more for an offset to reach blooming maturity.

Three feet tall? I don't think so.
by Arthur on October 28, 2005 02:26 PM
Thanks to all for your help. Now we know where to start!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: