The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Clematis - which is it... full sun or full shade?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Clematis 'Anna Karolina'| Next thread: Clematis Confusion »
Back to Thread index
by Patty S on May 16, 2006 07:03 AM
My daughter just gave me a Clematis for Mothers Day... It's a "Raymond Evison Clematis... BloomRite (trademark) Boulevard Series, Angelique (trademark) Evipo017".

The tag on it says "Partial to full shade"! [shocked] I had Clematis before we moved here, & always kept them in full sun (with a planter of Nasturtiums or a pumice stone rock at its base, to keep the roots cool), & they seemed to have been perfectly happy!

This is the first I've seen Clematis planting directions say "Partial to full shade"... is this something new, or have I been doing it wrong all this time, or are there different Clematis types that require different care? [dunno]

-
 -
by johnCT on May 16, 2006 07:23 AM
The roots should be provided shade with mulch or with some other plant or something. Otherwise Clematis should be planted in full sun. They LOVE the sun.

John - Zone 6
by SpringFever on May 16, 2006 07:36 AM
Mine says partial shade too..Patty it is a Marie louise jensen

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Patty S on May 16, 2006 08:21 AM
John, I do shade the base of Clematis, to keep the roots cool. I've always thought they liked full sun too, but just like SpringFeaver, mine says "Partial to full shade". I'm just confused as to whether or not we have a "different type" of Clematis!  -

-
 -
by joclyn on May 16, 2006 09:34 AM
different varieties have different sun/shade requirements as well as different pruning requirements.

as far as i know, they all have the requirement that the roots need to be kept cool - so covering them with lots of mulch, a large stone or planting something in front of them to provide shade is important.
by dodge on May 17, 2006 12:29 PM
Read the directions on the box...

I understand they love some half day shade.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Clematis 'Anna Karolina'| Next thread: Clematis Confusion »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: