The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My bromeliad

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: my broken garden weasel!!!| Next thread: my bulbs will not bloom »
Back to Thread index
by YvieInCa on April 01, 2004 05:16 PM
Greetings all.

I've done a few days of research on the web and have turned up nothing for the questions I have, I probably don't know what I'm searching for. So here's the thing:

My bromeliad flower (not the leaves) seems to be thriving just fine. Actually, the bottom two pieces of the flower have opened up and sprouted something (flower-esque) out to the side. [flower] If this makes no sense, please let me know I will try to clarify. So my question is: Are these just flowers? Are they seeds? Is there something I should do to it to keep it healthy? [dunno] There really isn't alot of info on bromeliads like this. Also the leaves are losing their color even though the flower is "blooming" (and growing quite rapidly). Should I use some fertilizer, or ?? It's not in the sun, has filtered light, water in the cup and the soil is kept relatively moist.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Yvie

----
Yvie [Smile]
by Newt on April 01, 2004 10:23 PM
Hi Yvie,
Do you know which bromeliad you have? Take a look here for care of different types. Maybe you can id the variety. Most of them die within six months of flowering, either producing pups or seeds. If yours produces pups, wait until the pups are one third the size of the mother to discard the mother and repot the pups. Once a bromeliad blooms, it won't rebloom.

http://www.rainforestflora.com/

Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
by YvieInCa on April 01, 2004 11:37 PM
Hi Newt,

Thanks for the response. It's greatly appreciated. I looked over the site you gave me to find my bromeliad, and it wasn't on there that I could find. I've only found one or two similar pictures to the one I have, and none that are quite the same. I'd imagine if I could figure out what kind it was, things would be easier, but I can't even seem to find that.

Thanks for your help!
Yvie

----
Yvie [Smile]
by Newt on April 02, 2004 12:59 AM
Yvie,
You are very welcome. Wish I could help more. Maybe you can find the ones that looked similar to what you have and do a google search using just the first of the Latin names. Click on 'Images' and see if you can find a site that might have several listed. Can't be that many bromelaid sites out there. Do you have a picture of it?

Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
by YvieInCa on April 02, 2004 01:21 AM
I do have a picture of it, and I've tried Google. I'm just not having any luck at all. But I'll keep trying.

I'll post the picture on my website soon if you'd like to see it.

Thanks again!
Yvie

http://www.smithhaus.org/yvie/flowers.htm

----
Yvie [Smile]
by Newt on April 02, 2004 03:34 AM
Yvie, those little things sprouting out of the sides of the flower are the reproductive parts of the flower. You should see more appear on each flower as the flower matures. They contain the pistol and stamen.

I think I found your plant!!!!! I think it's called Vriesea 'Isabel'

http://www.kb-inc.com/BR_04.htm
http://www.augustflorist.com/advice/bromeliads.htm

Hope this helps. If it doesn't, let me know.
Newt

by YvieInCa on April 02, 2004 08:11 PM
Me hero! That is indeed the plant I have, looks identical. Thank you SOOOOO much, you don't know how much better that makes me feel. Now I can finally start doing research on what I'm supposed to do with it.

I remembered a little bit about flower structure from when I was in 6th grade or so, and actually figured out that there was a pistol sticking out there (it's kind of funny, it couldn't have been more obvious if it slapped me upside the head, but it took me two weeks to figure it out LOL). So now I"m off to figure out what happens next. Newt, your an angel, thanks SO much for finding that for me.

Yvie

----
Yvie [Smile]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: my broken garden weasel!!!| Next thread: my bulbs will not bloom »
Back to Thread index