The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

English Ivy

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: English Ivy| Next thread: English Ivy »
Back to Thread index
by Amber Petersen on October 03, 2005 10:18 PM
My sinster-in-law gave me an English Ivy. I don't know anything about them. Do they have any special needs or care instructions?

-
Amber
by Sorathien on October 03, 2005 11:37 PM
well, i had an english ivy in a hanging pot in the corner of my bedroom, right by a south-facing window. it lived for more than 5 years and grew some vines that were more than 8 feet long. it only died because i moved and put it in a spot that i didn't see it very often and i forgot to water it. it was so root bound i had to water it almost every day.

they're quite easy to take care of. they just need light, and something to climb on. if you want them to be "bushy" rather than long and stringy, just chop the vines off. you can even pull some of the leaves off near the cut and stick the vine in some water and grow a new plant. and make sure they have enough room, they can grow indefinately and live an indefinate amount of time
by Amber Petersen on October 04, 2005 08:29 PM
Can I put it directly in a south window?

-
Amber
by Sorathien on October 05, 2005 02:02 AM
yes, they like bright light. mine actually grew THROUGH my lace curtain to get closer to the light. so putting it right in the window would be fine.
by Will Creed on October 06, 2005 04:59 AM
Hi Amber,

Hedera ivies do well if they are potbound and their roots are left undisturbed. Allow the surface of the soil to get very dry and then water it thoroughly.

Bright indirect light for most of the day with a few hours of direct sun is best. I recommend a north or east window for best results. Fertilize very sparingly or not at all.

Watch for spider mites, as they love Hedera ivies. Treat them immediately because they can devastate an ivy real fast!
by Amber Petersen on October 07, 2005 03:35 AM
I LOVE THIS SITE!! I'm learing so much and everyone is so helpful. Thanks for your replies.

-
Amber
by catlover on October 10, 2005 11:11 AM
Spider mites
quote:
Treat them immediately because they can devastate an ivy real fast!

Been there and yes it is reeeeeeal fast! [tears]

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: English Ivy| Next thread: English Ivy »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: