The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

English Ivy

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: English Ivy| Next thread: English Ivy »
Back to Thread index
by syl726 on May 06, 2004 04:18 PM
Hello Gang,
I purchased a 4" English Ivy around Xmas time last year and it's probably grown 2 inches with two taller "limbs" on each side. I like to bottom water so my daughter and I can watch it drink it up [kissies] I've seen them have totem poles in the stores. Should I insert one and what's the proper way and type of materials to use? As always...I appreciate your help. I'm learning slowly [teacher]
by Will Creed on May 07, 2004 03:41 AM
I think you may be better off just letting your ivy grow as a hanging plant rather than intertwined around a totem. It is hard to insert a totem after the plant has already established itself in its pot. I don't recommend repotting because Hedera ivies are quite fussy about having their roots disturbed.

Be very careful with the bottom watering. Don't let the pot sit in water for more than an hour. Let the top inch or so of soil dry before watering again. Hedera roots are not very forgiving of either over or under watering.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: English Ivy| Next thread: English Ivy »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: