The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Has any one ever heard of

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by sapphire on May 08, 2006 08:27 AM
A Vinegar Vine? Well that is what my mom says I have. It is a vine that grows bushy but yet spreads along the ground. In the spring it blooms these pretty purple flowers and then after the blooming season it just stays green. The vines will creep and take root as they go and will often times root underground and new ones will pop up in other areas around the base plant. Stays green year round also. The vine I started is on the side of the house that gets just a little morning sun but that is all. I have another on the other side of the house that gets the mid day sun and it is also doing well. Then I dug up a few clumps, just put them in a pot and they are doing well also.

I had taken some to my mom in the upper State of S.C. (I am in Conway) and she said it was a vinegar vine. I have no idea, I got mine from a neighbor who got his from the woods. It gets really thick and pretty.

Sorry no photo, hope some one can tell me for sure what I have.
quote:

by alankhart on May 08, 2006 09:24 AM
Sounds like Vinca...does this look like it?

http://www.ericandleandra.com/garden/botanical/feb03/pages/vinca.html

-
 -
 -
by Jiffymouse on May 08, 2006 09:31 AM
never heard of that, but sounds like i would like some!
by sapphire on May 08, 2006 12:33 PM
Wow alankhart....that is exactly what it is. I have no idea why mother thought it was a vinegar vine. Maybe in "her day " that is what they called them, I have no idea. But yep you have solved the mystery of the vine.

Now that I know the name of it, I don't have to say "that green vine right there". The flowers that bloom from it in the spring are so pretty and when you have a good thickness of the plant those blooms give off so much pretty color.

Gee that is great, thanks so much for solving this for me. Never knew what it was, did not know how to research it on the Internet, because I did not know the name of it. Thanks again ...I just may learn a few things by joining the room...take that back, I just may learn a lot.
by joclyn on May 08, 2006 12:59 PM
sounds to me that the name 'vinegar vine' is a mutation of vinca vine...

yes, they're terrific growers!! they're considered invasive...which wouldn't phase me at all - i just love it!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: