The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Non-fruiting apple tree

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Non-food uses of plants & herbs| Next thread: Non-Willy Wallpaper »
Back to Thread index
by obywan59 on April 10, 2004 04:59 PM
I have 13 varieties of apple trees, all espaliered but one (Winter Banana). Every one has fruited except for my Esopus Spitzenberg. The trees are all 9 years old. I have been spur pruning all trees and thought maybe Spitzenberg was a tip bearer, but can find no info online that this is the case. Any ideas?

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by weezie13 on April 10, 2004 06:27 PM
[wayey] [flower] Obywan59 [wayey] [flower]
HI, I just wanted to tell you, that even though I personally don't have any experience with that type of gardening, I'm pretty sure we have a few gardeners, I'm guessing, maybe Papito, might be able to help you!!!
But I would love to hear more about your garden!!

Sounds Awesome!!

How did you come about such a selection and how did you learn how to do that and IS IT HARD TO DO?
I have seen many things on it, and wondered about it!! (I'm a rotten prunner, so I didn't think I'd be able to do it)

Any how, I hope you'll enjoy our site, while someone comes thru, anyone of the gardeneres can know the answer but you have to give them a bit of time to come thru, keep checking back and enjoy the site....

We have a Recipe Section, and a Crafts and Hobbies, and Banter Hall for Chatting, alot of things to keep you busy here, There really is alot
of very nice people here and they're great to talk garden with and have alot of fun!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by obywan59 on April 12, 2004 11:59 PM
Weezie, I didn't figure out how to send a proper reply until I had sent you a private one. Sorry about that.

-
Terry

by weezie13 on April 13, 2004 02:17 AM
obywan,
I IM'd you!!!!
Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by obywan59 on April 13, 2004 08:13 AM
Weezie, in response to your questions, I chose apples (and other fruits) that were described as having exceptional flavor. Esopus Spitzenberg was one of those so described. It also happened to be Thomas Jefferson's favorite apple and as I had visited Monticello ( a 2 hour drive for me) it helped make my decision easier. I also have a fig (Marseilles) that was grown by him and is still grown at Monticello.

As for pruning espaliers, it's not really that difficult. I had several books to go by, but even so, there was some trial and error involved as I modified my pruning techinques. I do mainly summer pruning to try to stimulate fruiting spurs and it seems to be working.

-
Terry

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Non-food uses of plants & herbs| Next thread: Non-Willy Wallpaper »
Back to Thread index