The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Thick skinned lemons

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by valeriec on March 07, 2004 09:16 PM
I live in Mill Valley, CA, just north of San Francisco.

I have a Eureka lemon tree about 8' tall, which grows very well. However, the fruit gets extrmely large and has thick skin, little juice.

Am not sure what causes this...watering, nutrients, or what.

I'm a reasonably experienced gardner (40 years,) and have no problems with my Meyer Lemon and Lime trees, which do fine in the same area.
by papito on March 08, 2004 05:52 AM
Hello VALERIEC, Welcome to the Gardener's Forum.

The lemon fruit you described is similar to the ones from the "Ponderosa Lemon Tree", rather than the (California) Eureka Lemon Tree.. See more info on

Lemons

I will also inquire from the UC-Davis Extension Office for a better explanation.

Weezie, another Californio.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by weezie13 on March 08, 2004 06:59 PM
Papito,
I saw, I saw!! Another Californian!!! [clappy] [clappy] [Razz]

I'm very glad to have another Californian here,
I hope she'll share some of her 40 years of
gardening exiperience with us!!!!
That would be great!!!
Looking forward to seeing her on the board!!!

VALERIEC,
We've been having a little friendly competition with getting members to join, to see who's state is going to out do~who's state in member numbers!! (They're whippin' our N.Y. butttttssss!)
But that is OK!! Glad to have any gardener to join and share their gardening tips and join the friendly group we have going here!!!
Welcome!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by papito on April 01, 2004 10:04 PM
I'm still waiting for some information on this subject, however, in the case of Myer lemon, once mature, some varieties can hang on the tree for several months slowly growing larger and developing thick skin.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
by Jon on April 13, 2004 02:26 PM
We had a dwarf Eureka lemon in Cerritos (CA) for the 27 years we were in the house - - if we got the lemons when they would first turn yellow - the skins weren't an issue - but leave them too long and they would certainly toughen up a bit. Also, noticed that the "fresher" lemons were more juicy even if smaller.

In South Gate (and now it gets more haxy - due to we moved to Cerritos when I was 12) we had two different types of lemons - full sized trees - and it seems it was much the same - especially for the sweeter lemon.

Papito (seeing he is the expert ) is this normal for all lemons or just something that we experienced?

Jon

PS - while I'm a NV transplant - - wonder if I count for the CA numbers as I was CA born and bred

by papito on April 14, 2004 04:32 PM
Jon,

We'd rather claim you as a Californio/Californian.

I am by no means an expert. I just happen to have a few citruses growing in containers because of limited space in the front and/or back yards.

I found that plants grown in containers demands more time and energy than those grown in the ground.

I read a few articles from some citrus growers and it tends to support your observations on the lemons (in Cerritos and South Gate).

I haven't purchased any new citrus variety in over 12 years; just wondering how much the new varieties have improved compared to the ones grown over last 12 or 24 years ago.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
by weezie13 on April 14, 2004 04:50 PM
Hey Jon,

I'd claim you for a New Yorker if they'd let me!!!

HaHa, just kidding!!

We'll claim you as double (* a two~fer)
Two~fer~one!!!

The more the merrier!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: