The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

geraniums

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: geraniums| Next thread: Geraniums »
Back to Thread index
by rucrazy on May 03, 2006 07:11 AM
Have a couple of them and the pots are getting too small. Just bought bigger urns and want to transplant them.

Two Q's:

1-the plants are blooming right now, is it still a good idea to do it now?

2-Can I split each pot in two and how do I do that without killing the plants?

Thanks! [flower]
by rucrazy on May 03, 2006 07:14 AM
In the original post I meant can I split the plants in two NOT the pots, duh!!! [Embarrassed] [Embarrassed] [Embarrassed]
by alankhart on May 03, 2006 08:46 AM
You can transplant them while they are in bloom without worry, but I've never tried to divide them. I'm not sure if you could unless there are definite divisions where you wouldn't actually be breaking the plant into.

-
 -
 -
by Triss on May 03, 2006 11:00 AM
I have had good luck in transplanting geraniums in full bloom. They handle it well. I have also never split them so cannot help ya on that one. But if you want new plants for the old containers just take a nice large cutting and root it. They grow roots pretty fast, too!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by rucrazy on May 04, 2006 03:28 PM
[wavey] Thanks Alankhart and Triss! I will repot ASAP and look for good cuttings and root them while I'm at it. [Big Grin]

This particular plant is very old and doesn't put out good growth but I'm very attached to it since it was pretty much gone when the previous owners left it to me so I brought it back to life and has been blooming endlessly for me. Hopefully when it's repotted it will grow much better. [flower] [flower] [flower]
by Triss on May 05, 2006 05:19 PM
Let us know how it goes!

-
 -
by rucrazy on May 05, 2006 07:14 PM
Well, started with one plant today. There was still plenty of room in that pot but since it hadn't been repotted in 5-6 years I thought by now it would be all roots. WRONG! It still had plenty of room but once I finally got it dislodged from the pot rying not to damage the plant (Man, that made me sweat!) it went into the bigger pot, regardless.

The soil I’m adding is very porous so I’m hoping it will still drain well and I won’t have to worry about root rot.

Well, the new pot is so big that it took all the soil I had so I need to buy some more so that I can transplant the other one so they’re in matching pots.

Now that I have the two smaller pots empty I better put them to good use… I guess I’m going to have buy some more plants…Hmm, I guess I can seed some marigolds and zinnias directly in them like I did last year and save me a few bucks.
by Triss on May 06, 2006 05:16 AM
Sounds like a plan!

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: geraniums| Next thread: Geraniums »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: