The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Weak seedlings

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: We need Hobo Weed cure..........| Next thread: website CheapSeeds »
Back to Thread index
by preciousgreenfingers on May 01, 2006 01:52 PM
Hi All
I started snapdragon(tom thumb variety) from seeds about 6 weeks ago. They have germinated but seem to have been stuck on the 2 leaf stage. Also the seedlings are very thin with weak stems. What do I do?
Many Thanks
by PAR_Gardener on May 01, 2006 07:02 PM
What kind of light are your seedlings getting? It sounds like the light is insufficient, so they are stretching for the light. If you don't have direct sunlight, you need to keep them less than 2 inches from a florescence light.

Once you have the correct lighting, you can strengthen the stems by gently stroking the plants 10-15 times, 2-3 times a day. I just turn an oscillating fan on my seedlings.

Another question is what kind of medium did you use to start your seeds? If you used a soiless seed starting mix (recommended), then you'll want to feed your seedlings a very dilute fertilizer or compost tea to help them grow stronger.

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.
by preciousgreenfingers on May 01, 2006 08:30 PM
They are getting lots of light. Feeding them might be a good idea-I had'nt thought of it. Thanks

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: We need Hobo Weed cure..........| Next thread: website CheapSeeds »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: